Excited springer

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Rawry, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

Hi folks,

I have started to clicker train my 2 pups 5 months 1lab and 1 springer at the moment we are doing the touch exercise wich the lab is doing quit well at but the springer is a lot more hyper and doesn't like to stop still for to long and gets easily distracted or starts jumping up a lot. How can i sort this out with out dulling her enthusiasm and drive wich is what i wnt for trialing. ?

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Excited springer

Hi Rawry, where do you want the hand touch to lead to? Is it to help you later on with walking to heel?

3. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

Yes basically i have springers and labs that i field trial but i am wanting to learn the clicker way as i have always used the traditional way of training and i don't want to loose the drive out of the spaniel.

4. heidrun

I'm a big fan of clicker training and I trial one of my spaniels but I have to admit that I have never trained the hand touch. I can see its advantages for getting a dog in the correct heel position with the hand touch but as precise heel work is not something that is essential for trialling spaniels I haven't bothered with it. I'm sure there are other uses though for the hand touch. Have you been following any videos showing how to train it?

5. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

I have watched some videos but not sure what to start with i.e. sit/stay/ recall the retrieving is fine, what sequence of training do you use if you don't mind me asking.

6. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

I forgot to say that would like some help with a training programme if any one could suggest one so i could plan what i am doing.

7. heidrun

Rawry, it is very difficult to set a rigid training program for a puppy. What might suit one wouldn't be right for another and without knowing your dog it is impossible to say in which order to do what. If he is very excitable I would work on self control. Teach him that all play can suddenly stop at any time and will only start again when he is calm and attentive, even if it is just for a nano second. Maybe try and clicker train a sit on a verbal cue and hand signal plus a single pip on the whistle which would be the foundation for a stop whistle.

8. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

Thanks very much if i was training my old way (traditional) i would know my routine but this is all new to me i. bred the pup myself and she has plenty of drive wich i don't want to loose.

9. heidrun

There is no way you will lose drive through clicker training. What would you normally start with?

10. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

I usually start with getting them to retrieve the tennis ball then biuld up their enthusiasm for the ball as i find the training goes much better when they really want that ball, when keen enough i like to get the hunting in then start with the basics sit stay steady to ball ect.

11. heidrun

I do exactly the same. Sit, stay, stop whistle I clicker train. :)

12. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

Thanks very much held run i waiting to go for a few lessons to make sure I'm going the right way using the clicker method

13. heidrun

There is another thread going somewhere talking about hand signals and a comment JulieT made reminded me what I wanted to mention about the hand touch. When I first get my spaniel puppies hunting little bits of long grass and cover I use my hands a lot to encourage them to get into the cover. I can see a potential problem if the pup has been taught a hand touch. It could be seen as a cue to touch my hand rather than to get its nose into cover.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I had to work very hard to get my hand touch off a visual cue and on to a verbal one, then get him to actively ignore the visual cue. At one point, I had Charlie jumping up to my palm on left and right directional cues!

But that is the solution it seems - to move hand touch to a verbal cue. I wouldn't be without my hand target though, I've used it for all sort of things - but whether you have a need for that, depends on what you are doing with your dog of course.

15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My hand target signal my hand below my waist, the left and right hand signal start above my head and then move out, so they are distinctly different. I can see with a spaniel it could get confusing for the dog, but maybe the palm of the hand could be facing down for the hunt signal and for the hand target, the palm of the hand facing the dog and the arm at 45 degrees out from the body?

16. heidrun

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=10400.msg153839#msg153839 date=1427979159]
    My hand target signal my hand below my waist, the left and right hand signal start above my head and then move out, so they are distinctly different. I can see with a spaniel it could get confusing for the dog, but maybe the palm of the hand could be facing down for the hunt signal and for the hand target, the palm of the hand facing the dog and the arm at 45 degrees out from the body?
    [/quote]

Stacia, mine and most spaniel people's casting off to hunt is much more casual than that. ;D It's just a click of the fingers. But in early hunting training I use my hands a lot to encourage a pup into cover. Anyway, I'm sure there are loads of benefits of teaching a hand touch but it is just not something I have ever needed.

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I haven't taught it before, just started for recall of old Lab ;D

18. Rawry

Rawry Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies and help