Excitement wees!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by DebzC, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Please please please can anyone advise how to stop this? When new people or people Libby loves but hasn't seen in a while come to the house she squats and wees! :( It's driving me really bonkers. We make sure she only greets people in the kitchen or outside but still. She's even doing it the last few days when OH comes in from work and it's getting worse not better. Pleeeaaasseeeee someone have a solution!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ah Debz....no takers?
    Not sure what the answer is for this.
    What a bout training an alternative to greeting people?
    Make the default that Libby goes to her bed or crate or a mat and gets a reward. A kong maybe to begin with to keep her occupied?
    I think this was one of the ideas for managing reactions to doorbells etc, not particularly in the context of weeing, but to extinguish other behaviours.
    I guess its redirecting activity to avoid the unwanted behaviour.
    Is it worth a thought?

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

4. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

@drjs@5 thanks for this. I thought either nobody else has this problem or there's just no solution!
    When my children arrived yesterday I made her go out for a wee as they arrived. She was doing a funny little back and forth dance trying to come say hello but knowing she'd been told to do a wee! It worked well but that's because they have their own key so I wasn't at the front door. She did it on the pavement last week when we met my youngest for lunch and that was embarrassing in the middle of town! It's not uncontrolled splashing, she must get an instinctive urge because she squats purposely.

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I would either pop her in a crate.. before you OH comes home, or when he comes home he totally ignores her, no eye contact or anything, the same with the children, until she is calm. You could also try and give her something like a frozen kong to help distract her. How old is she now?

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Crates are great also for helping with overall bladder control in slightly older pupsl, gradually increasing the time they are let out for a wee, I don't mean by keeping them in there, but they have their usual play, train etc...then pop them in for a bit. It took 5-6 months for Bramble to get good bladder control, then another month or so to be able to hold on when excited.

7. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

She's 8 months. Her bladder control is fantastic, she can go 10 hours at night then not rush out desperately. She never wees in the house otherwise. She has learnt to sit or at least not jump up to greet people so probably wees instead. She only did it to OH the first day back at work after a holiday. She never does it to me or Sarah my daughter she sees regularly. I could pop her in her room, I do that for random visitors or those who don't like dogs. We'll get there I'm sure.

SwampDonkey and drjs@5 like this.