Fading out treats

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Michelle1976, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Michelle1976

Michelle1976 Registered Users

Hi, I've read the piece on fading out treats but i'm not sure when to fade out or reduce value with the recall. How do I know when to start fading out?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

With the recall, I always treat with high value treats. It's such an important cue, I don't think it's worth risking it by fading. So, they always get the good stuff, at least four individual bits each, either thrown to their mouths to catch, or sprinkled on the ground so they can find them; both games they love to play. So they get not only the treat itself, but a game AND a load of fuss from me. They always know they did good when they come back promptly :)

I also use a loud clicker to click them if they're running really fast towards me. I'm planning to use lower value treats when the recall isn't as snappy as I want. But, even if it's a bit sloppy, they will always get something.

3. Michelle1976

Michelle1976 Registered Users

Ok thanks. I got confused because I thought that if I always reward it would lose its power. So much to learn! :D

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you always reward but then suddenly stop rewarding, the behaviour will disappear faster than if you had originally rewarded less often and then suddenly stopped completely. But if you plan to always reward then the behaviour will remain strong. :)