February Challenge - paw targetting

Discussion in 'Forum Challenges' started by snowbunny, Jan 25, 2018.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You got away with January, but now Christmas is a distant memory, it's time to get training again!

For February, let's work on paw targeting - with all four paws. Does your dog know its back end even exists? I'm pretty sure mine don't!

I've bought some paw pods (note to the wise - you can get the human version a lot cheaper than the doggy version, which I obviously discovered AFTER I bought mine, but hey ho), but you could use anything stable that your dog can feel. Even four small bits of vet bed or something would work. As long as there's an obvious difference between the ground and the object. The paw pods help to work the dog's core as it's also a balancing exercise, but for the challenge I'm more interested in the fact they can arrange themselves so they're standing on four objects, one at each corner.

Like this...

[​IMG]

I've just started shaping interaction with one of the pods today. I've had a couple of lovely deliveries to hand :facepalm:

Plum's mum, EmmaHughes, Joy and 2 others like this.
  2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Ha ha, we were recommended these at agility, I took one look and thought Ripple will love this - great for chewing :D.

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  3. snowbunny

I'm actually amazed, Squidge wanted to chew it to start (to be fair, they've all had a go), but with shaping so you click as they approach from a distance to start with, before there's a chance for their teeth to get near, it's pretty effective to get them to realise it's a foot thing, not a mouth thing :)

4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Hmmm I'll think about it. Tempting me to spend even more money on Ripple :rolleyes:.

snowbunny likes this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ah the good old spikey boobs. We had a couple of these at rally last term, same idea as the challenge. I'm sure I can find 4 plastic lids or similar for the challenge. I noticed that the smaller dogs were much better at the spikey boobs than the bigger dogs, lower centre of gravity maybe?

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Errm...what are the human paw pods called?

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My Lab would have no idea :D

snowbunny likes this.
  8. pup-pup

pup-pup Registered Users

Jubilee and I train with a neighbor who has these pods. The front pods were easy, but the rear ones seem impossible. She keeps knocking them out of the way. There is a larger balance disc that she will put one rear paw on with her front feet on pods. YouTube has lots of videos of border collies easily doing this and all kinds of more challenging activities, but I can’t find any videos about how to get the back paws on without knocking them out of alignment.

9. snowbunny

drjs@5 likes this.
  10. snowbunny

My thought was to use a larger object to start with, so the dog gets used to seeking it out with the back feet. We'll see, I'm still on the front for now :)

11. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I've got Xena touching one plastic lid with her left paw, but it's really hard to imagine her ever being able to place both paws on separate lids (let alone 4 paws on separate lids! Sorcery!). Is the idea to build up duration of the paw on one lid before introducing the second lid?

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I could use some of these to improve my core and balance!

Stacia likes this.
  13. snowbunny

Yes, you have to get the duration first, and add a release cue. Once I have that, I'm not sure which tack I will take; either start to add a different cue for left and right feet or else start off with two pods next to each other and shape the dogs getting onto both of them.

Xena Dog Princess likes this.
  14. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ella hates these. In fact, she hates having to put her paws on anything. She will go out of her way to avoid putting her paws on any type of platform :rolleyes:

15. snowbunny

I thought Willow would be the same - she's really sensitive about me asking her to do anything with her paws. I tried to train her to use a scratch board over the summer but she hated it so I gave up. She was a super star with these, though - the first to pick it up out of the three of them. You can get smooth ones but all three of mine seem happy with the knobbly version.

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh what a great challenge! I am off doing a workshop on exactly this in a couple of weeks :)

snowbunny likes this.
  17. snowbunny

Oooh, where is that?

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Through good canine citizens based in Cardiff and run by Caroline Cowan :)

Cardiff Canine Citizens Proprioception, Balance and Body Awareness Workshop

snowbunny likes this.
  19. snowbunny

Can't wait to hear about it - take notes! :D

Beanwood likes this.
  20. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

I think I will start with upturned dinner side plates, so they arent so easy to move. But this may be a tough one.