Feed me. Feed me now!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by UncleBob, Oct 10, 2013.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

OK, we're well advanced with preparations for Harvey's arrival but there is one key area that we still need to address ... food!

Two popular choices seem to be Royal Canin Labrador Puppy and Fish4Dogs Puppy. Which food do you guys and gals use for your puppies (or which did you use if you now have adult dogs)?

2. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

Re: Feed me. Feed me now!

Wow, those two are shockingly expensive.

I used Beta Puppy until 10months then went to Skinners Field & Trial.

Both dogs are fit and heathy.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We use to feed Fish 4 Dogs but the protein levels are very high at 26% so switched to Burns Alert at 18% protein and (no VAT) and they love it and are extremely healthy, infact Hattie is 6 years old and is fitter than any of the young dogs in our village and Charlie is so fit, well you've read the posts ::) :eek:. Fish 4 Dogs is quite expensive but if you buy directly from them you get some bulk buy deals and free delivery.

How exciting nearly time to pick Harvey up. Good luck Helen x

4. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

We use Burgess puppy, and then onto burgess active for working dogs (so no vat).
    Never had any problems with either. They're available in local shops, and even cheaper on the internet, usually free delivery.
    I'd still get a small amount in of what ever the breeder has him on, just for change over.
    I do like the name Harvey! That's my dads favourite film. :)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi. I use Royal canin for Harley (10weeks old) She loves it. We tried a few others but she didn't eat it all. My neighbour has a puppy 1 day younger then mine and he didn't eat properly for a week. I gave them some go Harkey's food to try and he loved it. He continues to eat properly every day. :)
    Hope this helps

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Royal Canin here too - because it's what the breeder used rather than I know it's a good food. Although recently reinforced by my vet saying she thinks it's a good food (vet also sells it though...). It's tricky, very difficult to find independent reviews on puppy food.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there....here we go...UncleBob your head is going to be spinning,we'll all bombard you with different options now! ;D
    Dex was on eukanuba when he came to us?I changed him to Royal Canin large breed puppy but due to a sensitive tummy he went onto Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal puppy...and is now on the adult version.hes very happy and healthy on it and I won't mess about with it as it's working for him and I'm low on confidence with him being our first pooch,I have my trust in a complete food that he's getting all he needs
    What has the breeder got Harvey on?if you choose a different one you need to swap over gradually x

8. Shell

Shell Registered Users

I had always fed my labs on Hills Science (everyone remarked on their glossy coats) then changed to Royal Canin as I'd read it stops that stomach flip thing from happening, however their breath stank! I have now changed to Wainwrights after reading the reviews on www.whichdogfood.co.uk - got a shock when Royal Canin only got one star out of five.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I read the whichdogfood site with interest when I was looking into the contents of kibble (although the royal Canin type I use isn't there, and I think the ones that are there score low because the rating system regards carbs as low value fillers). I'm still looking at whether I agree with the way they rate the food - i don't mean I disagree, i mean I don't know - it's an interesting site, I think.

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I used CSJ command performance puppy and now adult.

Like Julie it was because that's what the breeder fed.

It is an hypo allergenic food. They sell cheaper ranges. Command performance is their premium range. I was told by an independant veterinary nurse it is comparable to all the well known premium ranges better than some as it has a single protein source which is important. It is however cheaper.

You can order off their web site and find if you have a local stockist. If you contact them they are very helpful with nutrition health advice. They will also send free samples. They are a small family firm which I like. They developed the food for their working sheep dogs (been on one man and his dog) as they couldn't find a premium quality affordable dry food.

My old lab was on eukanuba until age 11 then royal canin sensitivity for his dodgy stomach . These expensive foods are not necessarily the best and youve got a long time of feeding ahead.

Good luck choosing ???

Jen

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Shell ;D Dex's breath doesn't smell....or am I so blinded by love I think he smells of roses!!better ask my sister to check.....she is definately the voice of reality when it comes to dog smells :eek:

12. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=2832.msg29257#msg29257 date=1381404325] ... UncleBob your head is going to be spinning,we'll all bombard you with different options now! ...[/quote]

Thank you all for the comments. Somewhat naively (I'm ever the optimist!) I had wondered whether there might be a common recommendation that stood out from all the others ... apparently not! ;)

13. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

Expensive but we use Hills Scienece Plan

14. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I want to change Murphy from eukanuba puppy as he has a couple of bouts of colitis and I am wondering whether it's significant. It is so hard to know which food is best, as I mentioned in one of my other posts there are so many different options and so many varying opinions depending on who you talk to!
    I started changing him over to symply but he got colitis again and so I went back to just eukanuba. I was thinking about that James wellbeloved one..

15. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

When we first got puzzle she was on skinners field and trial puppy, but we then switched her over to wainwrights for a few weeks as it was the only puppy food we could source locally, but now she is on fish4dogs and the difference in her was amazing her coat is so shiny now and so soft, and she prefers fish4dogs as well as she eats it quicker. She will stay on fish4dogs hopefully for life.

16. Shell

Shell Registered Users

oh believe me Dexter you really cant miss the stink - I knew I had to do something when it got to the point of I couldn't stand him even licking me :( I just found Hills got so expensive and they dropped the size of bag from 15kg to 12kg. Both my labs (11 year old passed last Nov) hated James Wellbeloved (case of not beloved!) but recently Jack (9 yr) is a bit constipated on the Wainwrights so it may mean another change. I would like to try the CSJ as it seems to get good reviews or possibly the fish4dogs if I can source it. As for the mini crocodile disguised in cute puppy clothing (willow, 16 weeks) I would like to get her onto something that will stay with her as she grows - she was on Beta puppy and im trying to start mixing with Wainwrights but dont want to change about too much. Julie T, I totally agree about the reviews - there's a lot against carbs as fillers but my older two never had a problem with it.

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We feed a mixture of raw and kibble. We were using Hill's, but have just started on Nature's Way, which so far I am very happy with.

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Like Karen , I feed a mix of raw and kibble , I use Skinners Field and Trial Salmon and Rice , it suits both dogs tums and they do well on it .