feeding acana pup kibble

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ruth morris, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ruth morris

ruth morris Registered Users

has anyone got info on acana puppy kibble, its. canadian in origin and my vet is suggesting it for my pup. it is very expensive so would appreciate any help. thankyou all.ruth

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Wow , just had a look, it certainly is expensive ! Is there any particular reason that your Vet recommends it for your pup , for digestion issues ? I always say to feed the best that you can afford to feed, and it does look like a good product, but there are other foods out there that are also full of good ingredients and not costing a fortune ! I always look at the content , to make sure that the protein , as in meat, poultry or fish, is the first ingredient listed , and that they food isn't overly bulked out with fillers such as ash or beet . Avoid any that has a main ingredient of maize or wheat too .

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

There are plenty of alternatives if you look on one of the dog food comparison dog food sites. All about dog food is good.

kateincornwall likes this.
  4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We use Acana, It ranks very high and is expensive but you don’t need to feed as much of it per meal. A bag generally lasts us one month and the dealer we get it from gives us 1 free bag after you buy 12 further reducing our annual food cost. It’s the treats that get expensive for us. Lol. We are very happy with it. Just switched from the Large Breed puppy to Adult and further reduced his ration.

5. ruth morris

thankyou for your help.much appreciated.ruth

6. ruth morris

t
    hankyou for allyour advice.ruth

7. ruth morris

thankyou for your help,apparently you dont have to feed as much of this food ,but, ive got a sack so will try it with peanut, thankyou so much.ruth.

SwampDonkey and kateincornwall like this.
  8. Coa

Coa Registered Users

We feed our lab puppy on Acana Large Breed Puppy. When we were trying to decide the best food to feed him on I just kept coming back to this one as being the best but was worried about how expensive it was, however when I looked into how much you had to feed because Acana is full of good ingredients and not bulked up with rubbish you feed a lot less meaning price wise there was not as much in it! We can buy a bag locally for £54 and this lasts a month and we get every 7th free (it is also online for £50 with free delivery). I would definitely recommend, our dog has done really well on it. Growing well (not too fast), lovely shiny coat, not farty and good poos!