Feeding amounts with Orijen

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by mat, May 11, 2016.

1. mat

mat Registered Users

Hi all,

I have recently switched Mollie to Orijen adult food from Artemis puppy. She wasn't a big fan of the Artemis so we had to add a drizzle of olive oil for her to eat it, we've had no problems in that regard with the Orijen as she loves it. Only thing is her poo's seem softer than they used to be, I'm not sure whether it is the food itself or whether she is getting too much, she's currently getting 280g a day over 2 meals. She is approx 22-23kgs and 8 months old. She has also started to have the occasional poo overnight which she hasn't needed for a long time, again not sure if linked to the food or the amounts.

Any suggestions on feeding amounts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mat

2. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I would read what it says on the packet. It should say what to do it the dogs poo in softer than normal. My dog food says if my dog has running poos cut down the feed. I hard poos give a little bit more, but my dogs are not of Orijen adult food. Maybe another member could help you more. If not give your vet a phone call.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

It does sound like she might be getting a little too much. Orijen is very rich so you could cut back a bit and see if things improve.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Check on their website and send a few emails most dog food companies are helpful. I got some really good advice from one of the food compaies I use.

hope pups ok

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've had a look at the Orijen website and their advice is to start with their suggested daily amounts, monitor and reduce as necessary. Are you feeding based upon the 'active' or 'less active' guide and are you making the 1.25 allowance for puppy up to 11 months old? A common cause for soft poo is too much food, and manufacturers don't always make it easy for us to get the amount right.

I've recently changed Juno's food to a manufacturer who also produces a wet meat which can be added to their kibble. Their estimation based upon her age, breed, activity level and that she is spayed was for a total of nearly 300g of kibble a day plus the 100g sachet of wet meat. As a standard I always reduce the quantity by a third to allow for treats etc during the day but I've actually reduced the quantity of kibble to around 50% of their recommendation to ensure that she remains slim. Off to the vet for a weigh in next week to ensure that we have the balance right.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well when I used Orijin Lilly was a little older but I was feeding around 100g twice daily based on less active dog (with her HD) and this was more than enough. Its quite dense. Poops were fine and not smelly but I know it didn't suit others. She did really well on it compared to her previous foot and her coat was superb.

7. mat

mat Registered Users

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I was following the guidelines for active plus the extra for being 8 months old so was most likely over estimating the amounts. I will reduce it and see if that helps, give her less yesterday and what came out other end was better last night and this morning so will continue to see how she goes and reduce more if needed.

drjs@5, MaccieD and bbrown like this.