1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Feeding Bowls

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Nolan Pretorius, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Nolan Pretorius

Nolan Pretorius Registered Users

Good morning all.

Firstly, let me just say how much I enjoy this forum. Only been a member since early this morning and already learnt a lot.

Please could someone advise me on what bowl to get for feeding our puppy (Simba, in my Avatar)? We have been advised to get a bowl with a 'maze-like' pattern to setup our boy from wolfing his food down. Any suggestion would be greatly received.

Many thanks.

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are enjoying exploring our boards :) If you are feeding your puppy on kibble a slow feed bowl can definitely make mealtimes last a little longer. They can be a bit bulky and awkward though. Watch out for indentations on the back that trap water in the dishwasher. The green, company of animals (I think) , version is quite good. An alternative is to scatter kibble on the floor or your lawn so he has to search for it. Or you can feed the puppy all his kibble during little training sessions during the day. Puppy meals are quite small so it doesn't take much for all their food to be used up this way. :)

Nolan Pretorius likes this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Have a look on Amazon as there is usually a good choice of 'maze type' feeding bowls. For a puppy you will probably want to buy the small size and then move up as he grows. Another alternative with kibble is a snuffle mat to hide the food in and for him to search out. Even a ball in his current bowl with the food scattered around it will slow him down.

4. Nolan Pretorius

Nolan Pretorius Registered Users

Hi and many thanks for your reply.

I bought him a bowl from 'The Green' it's called The Green Mini, and once Simba has grown, we will upgrade his bowl to a bigger size.

5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Don't be too surprised if your pup struggles with the Green mini as from experience it is quite deep in the middle and some dogs struggle to get the food. I ended up throwing one away as my girl couldn't manage it, despite her experience with other types of bowl.