Feeding puppy and senior dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Atemas, May 1, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Would just like to seek any info or experience regarding my two dogs diets.

Red (20 weeks) the puppy has had a series of really horrible bouts of diarrhoea which I have documented elsewhere on this forum. She is currently on Hills Prescription Dijestive Care i/d wet food with some of their kibble for treats. On the Vets advice we have tried both Fish4Dogs Puppy food and Hills Puppy food both with disastrous results. Whilst she could stay on the i/d which suits her 100%, it is extremely expensive and is currently costing us far too much.
    The trainer where I take Red give me a small bag of Symply Puppy Turkey and Rice (the i/d is Turkey). Anyone using/used this?

Sky (10 years) has been on Arden Grange Hypoallergenic Light which is chicken based for years. She needs to lose 3kg (again documented on this forum). I ordered Hills Metabolic and Mobility from the company I have used for years. They have let me down for the first time ever and it still hasn't arrived. I see that Fetch supply this food. However, Symply do a senior food for weight control that is lamb and rice. Anyone using/used this?

Need to get them both sorted out but anxious not to upset either.

We have a local pet shop that stocks Symply.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry, I don't have any experience with either Symply or Hills. I use Simpson's 80/20 but used a few other in the past.
    I use Zooplus for delivery and find them to be reliable - they do Hills.
    Knowing you have a reliable source for your supply is really important, be it mail order or local shop.
    I guess its trial and error as to the food that suits. I know a few people who need to use different food for their dogs - must admit I couldn't be bothered with that, by I only have the one to worry about!!

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Won't really help you, but we fed Cooper a Puppy version of Blue Buffalo and Tilly the adult version for Cooper's first year. We put both bowls down and they only eat from their own bowl, as long as both dogs are there. Now they are on the same food, but it won't be long before we transition Tilly to Senior version.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory has colitis so has been a very difficult dog to feed after trying various types of kibble he is settled on millies wolfheart tracker mix. Its low fat enough to help and had not set his colitis off yet. It may do in the future so I will then use raw. I've tried nurtiment when he's been really ill and its helped with his drastic weight loss so I keep loads in the freezer to help out with the flare ups he has. This is the longest hes been on a food and been able to tolerate it. Ive been pleased with the food and their delivery service is excellent. l use the symply lamb and rice weight loss for Moo who is shes got to be a fat girl now shes older so its been helpful and she likes it. We tried the burns weight loss but she hated it and could barely make herself eat it.

Atemas likes this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't have any experience of the brands you mention but, to be honest, I wouldn't be concerned with feeding a less-than-optimum diet for a day or so until your regular food is delivered. I had a similar issue recently, when my adults' food was lost in transit (you can't buy it in this country) and my options were either to feed them the puppy food or to buy a food I could get locally. After looking at the local options, I upped their raw food intake and made the rest up with puppy food. It was for less than a week, and I'm more than happy with that decision. Long-term, it wouldn't be the best solution, but for a stop-gap, they were being fed, and fed well.

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Only one shop near us sells Stanley's food and it's really out of the way and not open that much. There's been a few occasions where we've ran out and not been able to get any for a few days so we've just fed him chicken/turkey & rice/sweet potato until we've been able to get some. He thinks Christmas has come early :D

7. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Unfort
    It is Zooplus that have let me down over both dogs food. I even received a parcel with Royal Canin Cat food in it - I don't have a cat:D. When I tried to sort it out, they were so awful, I will never use them again. Still waiting to have my money back. Shame as used them for several years with no problems.

8. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to give Symply a go for both of them. My local pet shop stocks both so if all is well then know I can easily get their food.

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Well both dogs are now eating Symply. 10 years old Sky is on the Light/Senior for overweight/older dog. She likes it and her poos are as always solid.

Red (5 months) is on the Large breed puppy turkey and rice. She likes it. Her first poo of the morning is solid. She will go 2/3 more times during the rest of the day and that's not so good. Often first bit is solid but the rest is loose and sometimes she will squat - do the solid bit, then move and squat again and do the loose/ runny bit.

Sorry to be graphic but Red does concern me as she now has a history of digestive problems. Hills Prescription i/d food was ideal for her but so terrible expensive.

I am wondering if I am overfeeding her but don't think I can be. 245-400g per day is recommended on the bag - I am giving her 240g a day (she is 14kg) and this includes all her treats (kibble) and 3 kongs which are made of kibble and some Hills i/d wet food to bind the kibble together.

She is getting her permanent teeth.

Would be grateful for any advice.

10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanleys food recommends giving 400g per day.

He's lucky if he gets 200g in all honesty. He always gets a few treats throughout the day but I really try and keep his weight down. As soon as you overfeed him his poos go runny.

You could maybe cut it down a little bit more to say 200g and see if you notice any improvement :)

11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you @JenBainbridge - yes I will try that.