Feeding query - should food intake drop at 5months+?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Looby Lou, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Hi everyone

Jack and Barney are fed a high quality chicken & rice kibble from a local pet food manufacturer. We are just going to buy our supplies for the next month, but when I looked at the feeding guide the amount drops quite dramatically from 5-12 months. The range for 3-5 months says 400-615g for 10-20kg, and for 5-12 months it says 210-325g for 10-20 kg. we have been feeding them 160g x 3 meals a day, so 480g total plus treats and they seem fine on that. They both weigh just over 20kg. A drop to even the maximum 325g seems a lot?? :-\

We will ask at the manufacturers when we go, but wondered if this is normal?
    Thanks,
    Lou x

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Feeding query - should food intake drop at 5months+?

The feeding table on my kibble bag says something similar but the website for the manufacturer says something different. I've assumed the website is right but I have emailed them for confirmation. I'll let you know when I hear back !

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I fed my two CSJ command performance puppy food. They'd been weaned on to it and I was given a puppy pack with them.

There puppy feeding guide is very similar.

I contacted CSJ about this and was told as puppy will start to need less food per day as they mature. Usually anyway.

They also told me though if it was upto them they wouldn't put a feeding guide on as every dog is different and you should increase or decrease the amount by the dogs body condition, appetite and firmness of stools.

Hope thats helped I'm guessing your food manufacturer will say something similar but I'd be interested to knw if it's another reaon.

4. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Thanks Barbara and Jen. They said it's cos they should have stopped growing by then (?) so need less food. I will start reducing it a bit, but I don't think they will handle almost halving their dinners! We have them weighed every 4 weeks at the vets so I will monitor their weight and see what the vets says next time x