Feeding

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by suze12, Oct 11, 2014.

1. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Hi all I am the proud owner of a choc male lab called Milo who is just over six months old now. He is on dry food, a grain free kibble recommended by the breeder. He has two meals a day and also a filled kong (kibble, a bit of yogurt, smear of spreading cheese/peanut butter round the top). Meals alone he has 300g a day split into breakfast and tea. This is slightly more than recommended on the bag. However, he is waking regularly at 5am wanting food. Usually he goes outside for a wee and a poo but not always. Once he has had it he settles down straight away until my OH gets up at 6am. He potters around a bit then goes back into his puppy pen happily until I get up, normally at 8am. After that he has his walk then snoozes on and off. If it is a day I'm out he sleeps happily in his pen for a few hours. We usually give him his most of his tea between 5-5.30 then have been saving some and giving it at about 6.45-7 to see if it makes any difference. However, he still wakes hungry at 5am! Should we be feeding later at night or increasing his food? Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Re: Feeding

Hi, this sounds familiar! ::)

Maisie (7 months) has consistently woken at 5am for the last month or so....she wasn't hungry though and wouldn't always want to go out for a wee, she just wanted company! We now have her in our bedroom and every morning she jumps on the bed at 5am and then settles back down to sleep until about 7am when we all get up!

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

As long as Milo is gaining weight and looking good , I wouldn't be inclined to offer more food or change his food times either , Lab pups ( and adults ) are often very greedy monkeys , taking whatever is on offer , they are also masters of the " half starved " look :) I think that 5.30 p.m. is a reasonable time for his last meal , especially if he has a small supper , stick with it and don't cave in , if he doesn't always need to go outside, try ignoring his 5.a.m. wake up call , good luck :)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with Kate. They do give you the half starved look, you just can't give in or you could end up struggling with his weight.

5. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

I love that masters of the half starved look!!!!
    I constantly worried Bailey hungry, as looking like bambi!!!! But telephoned the burns advice line, she told me he was trying it on!
    She was right now fulling out and loosing gangly look (17 weeks)