Feeling nervous!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

So with Bob's pending arrival on Sunday I would have thought I'd be feeling mega excitement and would be counting down the days/hours/minutes.. Instead I'm feeling really nervous and apprehensive. :eek:

Is this normal?!

I am looking forward to Sunday don't get me wrong. I guess I always think of the big picture, training, food, sleeping at night, potty training etc etc... It's all a bit overwhelming! Maybe I'm worrying too much and should just go with the flow!

EEK!

Lou x

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Feeling nervous!

:) :) :) This is all very normal, don't worry :) I doubt that anyone on here can say, hand on heart, that they never had one of those " What am I doing ? " moments . I`ve had dogs all of my life but still felt some degree of apprehension when another one was due to join the family , just make sure that when pup arrives , enjoy every single moment, they grow up so quickly x

3. Loopyloo30

Thank you Kate! I've done so much preparation and reading. Maybe I've just overwhelmed myself lol!!!

Lou x

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Completely normal! This the 'OMG what am I doing' phase.

In about a fortnight I predict you'll enter the 'OMG what have I DONE????' phase. This is also completely normal. It is a symptom associated with sleep deprivation, chewed hands, carpet-cleaner-elbow, high levels of anxiety (where is he now?) and a realisation that all the good advice in the books just somehow doesn't apply with that real little puppy there because he has never read those books...

I think we've all been through it so don't be worried if you get there.... just post on this forum and we'll reassure you that it is perfectly normal and that out the other end is a lovely, lovely puppy-dog!

You are going to have the most wonderful time with your bundle of joy. Enjoy, and give us lots of photos!

Rosie
    (and Pongo)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Lou,you sound really responsible and prepared and it's all going to be fine and totally normal,even when it feels like it's not! And in my experience however prepared you are ,unexpected things pop up and worry you,scare you,amuse you,tire you,infuriate you,melt you :* sicken you :eek: ( yes,Bob WILL eat disgusting things ;D) energise you,age you ;D,challenge you, intrigue you,mesmorise you and open up a whole new amazing world to you.
    Good luck and let us know how Bob settles in x

6. Loopyloo30

Thank you! You are all lovely. The excited fluttering in my tummy is starting to return again!..

Quick question if I may... what sort of toys do labs like generally? I know they chew through most things though.. I'd like to get him a few bits for his crate. I think that's the only thing I've not got for him yet.

Lou x

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hey Lou. I've had mine at home for a few days now. She has a stuffed meerkat that she loves to wrestle with (supervised play only) but her other favourite is an empty small (500ml) water bottle! It's a tough one, not something she can crease easily, but she gets really excited chasing it around the room! I also have a rope toy for her which we play with together. She only enjoys that intermittently, but when she's in the mood, it's a good game. I also chuck her empty envelopes and things to destroy under supervision to keep the variety :)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Kong toys are pretty good and claim to be indestructible, hum , well they do last longer than other toys ;)
    I got Sam some soft toys , but never left him with them unsupervised as he tended to rip arms, legs, wings, tails off them with glee :) He also loved toilet roll inners , cardboard boxes , egg boxes , empty plastic bottles, but again, I didn't ever leave him with any of these unsupervised x

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Best toy was his piece of vetbed fleece (both comforter and enemy). Also plastic milk bottles. Also cardboard boxes for wanton destruction (do not supply just before visitors arrive). Not really very interested in any of the expensive toys we bought (although the rubber ball on the end of the bit of rope was the favourite out of the purchased ones).

10. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

I put the new puppy arrival feeling akin to when pregnant and I was about 8 monthes and realised this was only going one way and it wasnt going to be easy! you do seem very prepared so I'm sure that everything will be fine. Toy wise kongs are amazing also rope pull toys are good for chewing soft toys get thrown about and chewed in garden he loves a plastic flower pot as it rolls around unpredictably so he can pounce it. good luck cant wait for pics. x

11. Steph

Steph Registered Users

A quick survey of the carnage on my living room floor at present shows we have a mix of soft toys, kongs and a kong ball, tennis balls, socks, nylabones, a green gummy thingy, and my old trainers (those were planted for a good excuse to buy new ones). A real mix of hard and soft stuff then.

Some soft toys have been destroyed but she's kept her favourite bed toy stuffed dog intact until my dad's lab got hold of it last week and the insides are now on the outside!

Before adult and stronger teeth came in, a yoghurt pots was an absolute delight for her. Overall her firm favourite toy was the laundry detergent white plastic cup thing that she chased all over the place....and had us on our knees several times a night retrieving it from under the sofa one handed while the other hand kept the crocodile back!

Good luck with your puppy when she comes.

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You sound both fully prepared and totally normal :) As Rosie says, also be prepared for the completely normal 'I have made a terrible mistake' phase which you may experience in a few weeks....if you find yourself in that phase, don't worry, just write about it here and everyone will jump to the rescue :) We've all been there too!

Getting a new furry family member is a big change so you are naturally having the OMG moments, but you can also look forward to having the "how did I ever live without him" moments, days, weeks, months and years :)

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with everyone else insofar as worrying being totally normal. My personal experience has been up and down (mainly with Harley's health so far), but the love and joy they bring far outweighs the negatives (in my opinion). I'm sure you will be fine :)

14. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

There is a downside to letting your pup play with an empty water bottle.

When you are walking them they think every one they find is just for them (and there do seem to be plenty of discarded bottles littering the place). You actually don't want your dog to be tossing it in the air and having fun with it, you want them to concentrate on learning to walk nicely on the lead.

When you have finally 'persuaded' your pup to yield its treasure to you, what do you do with it? Do you walk along with pup bouncing up and trying to grab it from you or do you throw it back down on the ground. Not only do you look like a litter lout, but it will be on the ground waiting for your pup to come past next time when you will have to go through it all again

I fell into that trap.

15. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Yes. It is normal to feel nervous and oh dear what am I doing. This was me about 3 and a half months ( a lifetime) ago. My pup is curled up next to me and we are really happy. There are always things to sort out but if you wanted your pup you will know that and if you do then push on and enjoy the ride.

16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=8185.msg115681#msg115681 date=1412804906]
    There is a downside to letting your pup play with an empty water bottle.

When you are walking them they think every one they find is just for them (and there do seem to be plenty of discarded bottles littering the place). You actually don't want your dog to be tossing it in the air and having fun with it, you want them to concentrate on learning to walk nicely on the lead.

When you have finally 'persuaded' your pup to yield its treasure to you, what do you do with it? Do you walk along with pup bouncing up and trying to grab it from you or do you throw it back down on the ground. Not only do you look like a litter lout, but it will be on the ground waiting for your pup to come past next time when you will have to go through it all again

I fell into that trap.
    [/quote]

Really? That's sad there's enough litter to make this an issue. I guess we're lucky here that everyone puts their rubbish where they should. But we have bins and recycling stations everywhere and they're emptied daily...

17. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

There is a down side to letting your pup play with anything you won't want them to play with as an adult!

I made the mistake of having great fun with the broom with puppy Tatze. Now, as soon as the broom comes out, she wants to play. Of course her teeth and weight destroy brooms - so she has to go in the crate when I sweep up!

I made sure Gypsy only has dog toys!!

:)

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

As to the nerves - it's a lot like having a baby (without the labour, thank goodness!) you feel excited and nervous. I didn't sleep for a week before Tatze arrived!

But, when they arrive, it comes naturally and you are so busy and tired and in love that any nerves just melt away.

Enjoy - it lasts no time at all! Gypsy is now 5 months and no longer a baby pupster - I can see the adult dog emerging fast!

:)

19. SteveF

SteveF Registered Users

Think yourself lucky you`ve had time to prepare :) Murphy was a birthday present for me and on the big day I opened an envelope with a photo of my pup inside and a note that said "come and collect me at 11`o`clock :eek: The first two hours before his arrival was spent buying crates, bowls, leads etc etc. I really don`t regret it tho` and have enjoyed every minute so far. Steve.

20. Loopyloo30

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a lot better now. I was worrying about my worrying... silly really. We've thought long and hard about getting a dog and made all the necessary preparations. We just need Bob to arrive now! We get him on Sunday morning so I'll pop up some pics when he's back home so you can all 'meet' him.

I've got 2 kongs already (medium) think I"m going to buy another 2 (keep 2 in the freezer, 2 on the go sort of thing). I'm going to get a rope and ball toy... and maybe some other chewy type things. Just waiting for his vet bed to arrive and hopefully that's us all sorted!

Lou x