Fetch

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Peter, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter Registered Users

The word itself is tela which translate into canvas Or if i use wiki to look up the english wiki article is plain weave

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Julie's right about it being how you play with your dog. We visit the same trainer and I told her the same thing (without knowing Julie had done the same at the time). I said, I'd like to teach my dogs to play tug, but they don't like it. She showed me how, and within a minute, they were playing tug!

Mine don't like the kind of toys that Julie uses, but the trainer grabbed a big, chunky, stuffed monkey and they loved it. She explained it's often (although, clearly, not always) the case with Labradors because of the shape of their mouths, which open up into a big C-shape for carrying things, so it's more comfortable to have something chunky in there. Dogs whose mouths open in more of a sideways V-shape, such as German Shepherds, are better off with flatter objects for tug.

Having said that, as they've learned to play tug, they're less picky about what we use. I might try the flatter things again, because they're easy to carry. For me, the biggest thing is how I present it to the dog. Waving it in their face doesn't work; I have to hold onto it with two hands and present the part between my hands to them. Then, they'll grab hold and start the game.

Shadow has a habit of holding things with his front teeth, which means he's more likely to drop it. My trainer showed me how to play so that the game only happens when he has a good grip with the back of his mouth. If he holds with the front, the toy goes "dead" and boring. If he grips it well, he gets to have a game of tug and he "wins" it after a few goes. If he drops it or lets go during the game, I bring the toy up to my chest to end the game. Then start again after a few seconds. This way he learns that getting a good grip is the key to the game continuing.

The swapping game Julie mentioned is a good one (obviously I think so, because I've mentioned it to you before ;) ). It brings fun to the retrieving, makes the dog come back to you and helps you to gradually introduce rules to the game.

3. Peter

Peter Registered Users

Thank you a lot snowbunny that is what exactly happens with Sirius, he tends to grab the toy i have with his front teeth or he goes for little ropes on the sides (you can see them in the link i posted) and the first one (still in the link i posted) is kinda big so i thought it was for that reason that i can't get to play with him, thing is i bought the wrong one because i wanted the one in the middle, but saddly ended up with the first instead >_>

4. Peter

Peter Registered Users

forgot to mention is there a way to make him to bite my tug toy in the middle? He tends to bite towards the sides and after that he tries to chews on the cords, also how does a dummy look like? If anyone knows a good site where i could order one!

5. snowbunny

These are regular canvas dummies. 1lb ones are probably the right size for Sirius right now. http://www.sportingsaint.co.uk/c/training_dummies/canvastrainingdummies25/1lb_dummy_range

For holding the centre, you can just C&T for a correct hold, or try different shaped dummies. These ones mimic the shape, size and weight of specific birds: http://www.workingdogcompany.co.uk/results.php?&category=1

And this one helps the dog to hold in the middle, too: http://www.sportingsaint.co.uk/product/1089/category/284

If your dog is obsessed with the toggle and flap, you can remove the cord and tape down the flap.

You can get most of these things on Amazon and eBay, too.

6. Peter

Peter Registered Users

Thank you Snowbunny, in the meanwhile that i was looking for some site i've come across this one http://eshop.mystique-dummy.fr/dummy-c1550/ but i don't know which one to pick to be honest =) could you help me a little with this one? Thanks.

P.S check conversation

7. snowbunny

This would be your standard dummy - 500g
    http://eshop.mystique-dummy.fr/dummy-standard-c1551/

As far as colour goes, and since you're starting off, I'd go for a blue, yellow or white one since these are easier for the dog to see. Red ones are almost indistinguishable for a dog to see against grass, because green and red look the same to them. This is great when you start doing blinds etc, but not so handy for the first steps, where you're really looking at building confidence. Or, you can get the two-tones ones, like these, which are easier to see (again 500g:(
    http://eshop.mystique-dummy.fr/dummy-marking-c1555/

Does this site deliver outside of France?

8. Peter

Peter Registered Users

Seems like i'll have to check even though there's the italian page it seems like the vendor is from Slovakia

9. snowbunny

Well, I tried one of my Tug-e-Nuff toys this morning - a faux fur pocket bungee (http://tug-e-nuff.co.uk/pocket-bungee-faux-fur-tug-802.html). They both went nuts for it, and we had lovely games of tug. Yay! They weren't so keen when it got matted with snow, but this is great progress. It's taken some work to get them to engage with tug games, but I'm so glad I persevered because it's a great addition to our repertoire of fun things to do :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's great. Love tug. :) I was on the same journey, thought Charlie would never be all that keen. He absolutely loves it now.

The fake fur tugs will not do in Charlie's book - not at all. It's real rabbit fur or nothing, and that's that, for Charlie.

snowbunny likes this.
  11. snowbunny

I have some rabbit ones, too. The fake fur was what came to hand from my "big box of tricks" this morning. This evening we'll try out bunny ;)

Watch this space, I'll probably create monsters that will turn their noses up at the faux fur, too :)

12. Peter

Peter Registered Users

Oh nice Snowbunny! I haven't trained fetch in a very long time!I focused on sit and down, and now just adding duration and distance to the sit. I'm happy that i managed those two from scratch but sad that i can't teach Sirius how to retrieve, whenever we're in a open space he just ignores the balls and goes and pick whatever he can finds to make me go after him

13. Peter

Peter Registered Users

Bump still can't manage to teach Sirius how to retrieve he keeps the ball/whatever he can get his mouth around and keep it to himself

14. DawidPotul

DawidPotul Registered Users

Also, I need to try the rabbit.