Field lab doesn’t like hiking

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Brigid, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Brigid

Brigid Registered Users

Hi there,

in advance, I very much appreciate any insight that anyone can offer! My lab is descended from great field and hunting dogs and is already- at over 9 weeks- a specimen of a dog. My concern is that she seems to loathe walking in the woods. I have no intention of taking her for long or arduous hikes at such a young age, but I thought she’d be interested in walking a little and sniffing around. All she does is whine and try to dart back to the car, as if she’s terrified. None of my previous labs displayed this kind of apprehension in the woods, so it’s kind of surprising to me. Will she ever grow to like hiking? I sure hope so!

Again, Many thanks to folks who can shed some light!

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

At 9 weeks old, assuming that you have only had her a week, I wouldn't be concerned. Let her settle in at home and gain her confidence around you until she is fully vaccinated. Once her vacs are complete, I'd take her to the woods with her lunch and just sit somewhere quite and let her take her time. She won't need 'walking' at that age, she just needs experiences. Don't hurry her. Let her sit with you, or sniff around and give her her lunch as 'treats' while you are out.

3. Brigid

Brigid Registered Users

Thanks so much for that helpful response. I won’t hurry her or put undue pressure on her.. I’m sure she’ll come around in her own time. Thanks again!