Figure of eight lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by colc08, Jun 29, 2017.

1. colc08

colc08 Registered Users

For a general walking harness or lead (my preference being a lead) then the figure of 8 types I find best. They are kind and the right one should release any pressure when the dog is walking nicely on the lead.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would never recommend a figure of 8 lead. They are aversive, and we try to encourage ways of working without aversives here, believing there to be a better way. The figure-8 works by tightening around the dog's head when they pull, which causes discomfort at best, pain at worse, which, in turn, the dog tries to avoid by stopping pulling.

They definitely work because of the above, but there are dangers with using aversives like this, other than the general "I don't want to cause my dog pain" argument. If the dog repeatedly pulls towards something (let's say another dog), because he is excited, and repeatedly experiences pain because of that, it would be very easy for the pain not to be linked simply to the action of pulling, but instead to the other dog. It has been shown that using positive punishment with dogs is linked to an increase in aggression, for this very reason.

3. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Oh wow. I didnt even know leads like this were out there.

4. snowbunny

Well, in principal, it's not too dissimilar to other forms of head collar. But many of them don't have limiters on them, which means that, like a slip lead or choke chain, they can be tightened to such an extent, and all around the head, that they cause real pain to the dog.

5. colc08

colc08 Registered Users

I would not necessarily agree with this. There is no need for figure of 8 leads to be aversive at all and if fitted and used correctly then there is no harm or negativity caused, especially if the material as is it should be.

6. snowbunny

That is interesting to hear. How would you fit the figure-8 so that it doesn't tighten around the dog's muzzle and head?

#bms

Oberon likes this.
  7. colc08

colc08 Registered Users

Of course a figure of 8 lead tightens around the muzzle but it's all down to how it is used and if used responsibly then there should be in no way at all any discomfort caused to the dog.

I have trained head strong dogs to walk sensible to heel when all other methods fail and never has the dog been in discomfort, I would not do it if it was. With plenty of praise and treats a figure of 8 lead can transform a dog, sometimes instantly.

Dog's have always remained happy with tail wagging when i've used figure 8 leads.

I totally understand you point if used inappropriately and by that I mean excessive force being put through the lead and yanking on the lead. But if you're setting out to achieve something in training by means of using this lead you should be taking your time, starting with very few small steps at a time putting minimal pressure through the lead. It's all about being responsible as with any method or any lead in general for that matter.

8. snowbunny

Thank you for explaining. However, I still don't understand, so maybe you could take the time to explain further. If the lead tightens around the head, surely that is uncomfortable at the very least? And, if it is not uncomfortable, what reason is there that it would change the dog's behaviour? How would you explain, in behavioural terms, how this device could transform the dog instantly, if it is not causing discomfort? Surely, if that were true, the praise and treats alone would work?

I'm sure with your obvious experience, you're well aware that a wagging tail isn't a reliable indication of relaxation or happiness in a dog.

Also, how would you cope with a dog that had a lunging problem? That is, they walked nicely most of the time, but would suddenly pull towards something, be that a smell, a cat, another dog, a person? From what I understand, with a figure-8 lead, these unpredictable lunges would cause the device to tighten suddenly and with proportional force to the dog's pulling? This would be entirely separate to any force that the handler applied; even if they applied none, the dog's actions alone would cause it to tighten and cause pain?

#bms