1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

First Christmas

Discussion in 'Christmas Gifts' started by BigDutch, Nov 5, 2015.

1. BigDutch

BigDutch Registered Users

Lots of advice please. Riley will be nearly 6 months at Christmas. We normally have a large tree with lots of dangley things on it as you do and presents on the floor. We are thinking of not having a tree this first year as I'm sure the temptation will be just too much for her. Maybe cancel Christmas all together. :(

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We always have a six month old pup at Christmas!

I put the tree up as usual and teach them it's not for them. I don't leave them alone in the room with it 'tho :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It'll be fine! :) You might have to put the presents on a table instead of the floor, and puppy pen panels in front of the tree, but cancelling Christmas is a bit OTT. :D

Or, get a small tree and stand it on a small table above puppy height. You've just got to make a few modifications, and raise the height of decorations, that's all. :)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Juno was 6 months old at Christmas last year. I just put the tree on my lamp table instead of the floor with the presents piled up underneath. I had no problems with Juno, on a few occasions on the first day or so she was asked to leave it but then showed no real interest - if only the cats were as easy :rolleyes::D

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We have always put the Christmas tree in the same place, same dangly decorations, presents under the tree and never had a problem with Hattie or Charlie, they just never bothered with it and their presents go under too!! xx :)

6. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We had no problems with Holly during her first Christmas. She was initially very interested in the tree and presents, and managed to make off with a wrapped bag of dog treats. She quickly got the idea that the tree was just another "people thing" on the floor, and left it alone.
    The only thing we're careful about is leaving presents containing food under the tree. That would be too much temptation for any Lab.

7. Rosie

Rosie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Last Christmas Pongo was 12 months old. I was ready for chaos but he was completely cool about the whole thing. I let him watch me put the tree up and decorate it, and I made a point of being Very Calm through the whole process (...."this is a very boring tree Pongo, very dull, these dangly things are nothing to get excited about, go back to sleep....."). The only thing I didn't do was put chocolate decorations on the tree. For very obvious reasons.

Pongo sleeps in the sitting room where the tree was, and completely ignored it all Christmas. I was pleasantly amazed.

Presents, now, are a different matter. He knows that it is his duty to assist in opening all presents, whether birthday presents or just parcels delivered by the postman. So we didn't put any presents under the tree until Christmas morning. Just In Case.

I'd say try it and see how he gets on. You might be surprised!

Rosie

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lilly was almost 8 months her first Christmas.
    We omitted the chocolate tree decorations, otherwise progressed as normal.
    Lost one (glass) bauble to an overly waggy tail.
    One present got explored (something edible)
    No disasters or dramas.
    Always supervised, door firmly shut when we weren't around.

I would go for it.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Did not dare put up a tree with Rory just asking for trouble. He's nearly 2 so might give it a go this year. I just have a large collection of small to medium tree decorations all different and use them it looks like a small snowy forest in the living room, he will leave them. Its just Rory + tree decorations = drama. I would never leave him a lone with them just too much for a master criminal.

10. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

last year we had Christmas with a Labrador tail for the first time - he wasn't a pup, but that tail... We ended up with a 3ft tree on top of a festively-covered dressing table stool on top of the coffee table - a ridiculous sight but very practical! I think we will opt for the same again - Coco's tail isn't quite as destructive as Scooby's was, but better safe than sorry. I'm NOT not having a tree!

11. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Harley was just over 1 last xmas and we carried on as normal. She sniffed the tree when we put it up, watched us devorate it,tried to punch a bauble but left it when asked. We had no problems . We didn't put many presents under the tree until xmas eve, but again, she sniffed then ignored them.

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

We've had way more trouble with cats and kittens than with puppies. The only things the puppies chewed up was something the cats took down first. :)

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you're worried buy a puppy pen and put the tree in the puppy pen :)

14. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

No way I'm having a tree this year, it'll be hard enough coping with the elderly relatives, one with dementia, one with crutches and one who will won't nothing to do with Christmas or the puppy, lol.
    JulieT and Snowbunny, I think I just might take up drinking after all