First Coccidia, now Giardia and Hookworm

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Crazydoglady, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Crazydoglady

Crazydoglady Registered Users

I am beyond frustrated. I brought my 11-week-old puppy’s fecal sample in yesterday to get results post two weeks from finishing treatment for Coccidia. She was negative for Coccidia, but now came back positive for Giardia and Hookworm. She has never shown any symptoms. Solid poops since the day I brought her home. I need negative fecal sample to start classes. I’m doing training classes for socialization. I’m not worried about the training side. I’ve trained many dogs, and she is doing wonderful. I’m not worried about her getting sick, just beyond frustrated that I can’t get her socialized with other dogs as much as I’d like. She has met well over 100 people. I carry her to my kids soccer where there are tons of kids, teens, babies. I also also have teens in and out of the house all the time. Lots of introductions to men, women, delivery guys, hats, hoodies etc. my concern is socialization with other dogs. Currently, I carry her to pet stores and she has met our neighbors dogs, plus she lives with my Mastiff. She has met my parents dog, but I won’t let her interact yet with him, because he can be inappropriate, aggressive at times. I don’t want to have any bad experiences. I have had a dog aggressive dog in the past. I am terrified of that ever happening again. I’m not sure what else I can do to make sure she is well socialized with other dogs? Will just meeting other dogs from my arms be enough for now?

I also am not sure how much more I can do to prevent the Giardia. I have no idea where she actually got it, but I do live on acreage. I have barn cats. Neighbor shares property line and their dogs have had Giardia. That was over 3 months ago. My Mastiff tested positive over the summer. Vet didnt feel necessary to treat because was not symptomatic but we did treat anyway. I’m sure it had to be at home because I don’t put her down off property, which is more frustrating because I’m not sure how I can prevent it. I pick up her poop right away. Do I need to prevent her from going out on the property for now other than potty spot? I’m beyond frustrated. I’m bringing in a sample of my Mastiffs just in case. He’s not on any worm or flea protection because it caused seizures. The cats are all on flea worm prevention.

Jade likes this.
  2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

Just curious , are Giardia and Hookworm contagious to other dogs just by social contact? If not, Petco has puppy socialization group every Saturday and Sunday ,that is if you're in the Usa.
    You can use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for Flea/tick and deworm. It works great.

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Welcome to the site

Yes, provided she has good experiences. Just back away if she becomes anxious. You have up until the 16th week before the window closes. So you have plenty of time still.

Sorry to read about the on-going health issues.

Crazydoglady likes this.
  4. Crazydoglady

Crazydoglady Registered Users

I’m not sure about Petcos policy. I’ll have to see if the local one does the puppy socialization. I’ve used my local puppy daycare for my other dogs. They have a Monday puppy day. I usually only have them go for a couple hours, but they do require a negative fecal to be less than 60 days old. So that has been out until she’s negative. It is transmitted through ingesting the feces. Usually occurs when puppy licks themsleves after coming into contact, so I’m not sure for petco.

Jade likes this.
  5. Jade

Jade Registered Users

oh that's too bad. I hope pup is feeling better soon.