First day out and about

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by marie11, Dec 21, 2016.

1. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Hi Labrador Friends

I haven't had opportunity to come say hi since Dudley arrived 9 days ago , we are due to get outside into the world on Friday I wondered what is the best way to do meet and greet with other dogs

1 We have my friends lab coming over in aft who is 9 yr old Lab very gentle ,not fussed by puppies

2 When we go into our village what's best way to introduce that way

i.e do I get him to try and sit or what :) :)

Marie & Dudley x

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Hi Marie, if you are asking about Dudley meeting new people for the first time, something we started with as soon as we got Quinn was sitting before saying hello to a new person. We then release her with "say hi" and she could go over and meet the person. If she gets the OK, she can then go up to a person and sniff/get a pet, if not, she continues by or waits. This is really helpful when passing by people on the sidewalk who are scared or trying to avoid the dog as she sits politely and doesn't try to jump or get to them.

We have had zero problems with jumping up on people, and I think starting this from day 1 really helped. We also asked strangers not to encourage her to jump on them (so hard when they are tiny as people encourage and reward it).

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When we are doing lead walks I don't generally let Harley say hi to other dogs as it could end up with them trying to play, plus it's good to teach them not to have to say hi to every dog they see. If we are in the pet shop she says hi then we move on. With people in the pet shop I let her say hi, but with no jumping.
    In a park or field I played a lot with her when she was little and didn't allow her to run up to other dogs unless I checked they were OK with puppies, then I released with 'go on then'. I still use this now if it's a new dog as not all dogs are friendly.

4. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Thank you both :)

Had visitors everyday since he arrived and of course all training goes out the window however once they'v gone wee start right back at beginning with no jumping etc but he managed to get back to where he was very quickly before visitors arrive . You ask them but they don't pay attention GRRRR
    Anyway were allowed out in to world from Fri so you'r tips are great I will ask him to sit before a human comes to speak as he will work out quick that's how he gets to speak . :) being in a small village wee don't meet alot of dogs while out and about although have few friends that will be coming in handy for help with training and meeting other dogs if that makes sense .

Naya likes this.