First morning at daycare....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Emily, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

... And it was so hard to drop her off and leave her! We'd never really considered daycare but they also offer a grooming service so we've dropped Ella off for a hydrobath and nail clipping and she'll have a couple of hours playtime with the other dogs. With our human baby due to arrive at the end of Jan, we thought it might be worth having daycare as a backup for our furry baby in case I'm struggling with both (e.g. If I end up having a caesarean).

Now I'm just sitting here unable to concentrate as I can't stop thinking! Is she ok? Is she having fun? Are the other dogs being nice? Three hours is a very long time, can I get her early?

2. jools

jools Registered Users

How did she get on? :)

3. jojo

jojo Registered Users

it's like leaving your kids at school the first time ;-) how did she do? x

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Probably like kids going to nursery, she barely looked back!
    How are you both?

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

She's still there! It's been a hour and a half and I'm ready to pick her up! Arrgghh... It's killing me! Haha

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't worry, I'm sure she's having a ball :)

Do they have a Facebook page where they put up pics? That's what my daycare does, so I can see pics of Obi during the day. He is off to daycare this morning too (we are just waiting for them to arrive to pick him up). Ella had an early start at daycare - must've been 7am.

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

They do have a Facebook page (not that I'm stalking it haha). Yep, I dropped her off at 7am and will pick her up at 10am. I was amazed at how many people were also dropping off at 7am (mostly tradies). If she likes it (and we like it) I think I will be perfect as it's on my way to work and considering it takes me 7mins to get to work that's pretty good!

Less than an hour to go ☺

8. Oberon

Obi just got picked up.

No, I never stalk the daycare facebook page either.... :eek: :)

9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

She had a great time! Loved the play, loved the bath (they actually commented on how much she liked being bathed) and loved everyone! She smells AMAZING!

Bad news - she didn't get her nails cut. Good news - they didn't cut them as they felt she wasn't happy with it and they wanted to ensure that she had a positive experience with them. They even said they finished off by doing a simple touch of her paw (no clippers in sight) and gave her lots of treats for it. The guy was great too and was telling me all about this thing called "positive training" and how we could use this method with her to make her better with her paws and nail clipping ☺☺☺☺

I think we'll book in for another play in the next couple of weeks as I just got a really good feel for the place and the people working there.

10. Newlabpup

Newlabpup Registered Users

That's great! I also had a super hard time leaving Otis with strangers and strange dogs! But he looooooves it, and is always super excited to go in when we arrive. Grooming in the same place sounds like a great deal! He often comes home sooooo stinky from playing all day and rolling around in the dirt

11. Oberon

That's fantastic! :D

12. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Sounds like a lovely daycare and not doing her nails but just paw touching to give her a positive experience is so heart warming to read.

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds perfect!

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good news!

Tatze occasionally goes to day care when none of us are going to be in and my friend can't have her.

When I left her for the first time I felt far, far worse than I did leaving my sons at nursery for the first time!!

15. Diana

Diana Registered Users

Sounds a great place.

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sounds ideal.

Hee Hee - good job you found out about that then, eh? But how lovely to get a lecture on positive training from the daycare chap, that must inspire confidence.

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh it sounds a wonderful place,very caring people I think she will domverynwellmthere .....Dexter goes one day a week to daycare ......I' m a bit up and down about it but feel it's very important for him to be off lead around different dogs and this is one of the few chances he gets x

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Also meant to say rest up and keep well ,not long to go now x

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Sounds fabulous! I must learn more about that "positive training" thingummy. :D

Good luck with the nail desensitisation. It's a loooong journey for us. Yesterday, we went through about half a pound of chicken (raw and roast) and turkey frankfurters. We have raw steak on the menu for our next session, this evening. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like a wonderful place I'm glad you both liked it and that they wanted to make sure Ella had a positive experience