First steps with free stacking

Discussion in 'Ringcraft and Showing' started by snowbunny, Dec 30, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I'm clicker training the free stack with Luna at the moment. First steps are just capturing a bit of stillness, then adding duration, following my finger with her head without moving her feet.

Anyway, this is early days, but she's doing OK!

Cath, editor, drjs@5 and 4 others like this.
  2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

She seems to have a really good attention span and enjoy your sessions. Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere, but how long/how often each day do you work with her? Does she ever just toddle off and say, "Sorry mum, this bug over here on the floor is more interesting than you"?

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I try not to let it get that far, but sometimes she's not in the mood, so I just give up. Sessions are generally 1-2 minutes long (I base it on one or two sticks of whatever treat I'm using) and these formal sessions only two or three max times a day, doing different stuff each session. It depends entirely on how she's feeling. I do other stuff, too, like recall and heel basics in the garden when we're playing, waiting for calmness before feeding, crate training, separation training etc too, but they just fit into the day as and when and require less attention from her.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

She is a gorgeous little chunk and doing so well!