First time puppy parent don't know where to sta

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Hawaiian Bailey, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Hawaiian Bailey

Hawaiian Bailey Registered Users

I'm a first time puppy parent and Bailey comes home this Thursday, he'll be 8 weeks and 2 days old. So far he's been on a diet of raw meaty bones, no kibble or other processed foods. I plan on keeping him on a raw diet for now since that is what he's used to but I have no idea where to start otherwise. He'll Lready have his first set of vaccinations when he comes home it with regards to crate training, potty training, behavior training and socialization I'm. To sure where to start with these first few days. Any device would be appreciated

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there ,welcome to the Forum,congratulations on your new puppy too! There is a lot to get to get to grip with when your puppy first ,comes home and I agree it can feel a bit overwhelming.
    If you have a chance can you get hold of a copy of Pippa's The Happy Puppy Handbook? That will really help give you through a great start in the preparation and early stages...
    There are a lot articles on the main site that will be helpful but if you aren't sure where to start have a look at the Puppy Board

http://thelabradorforum.com/forum/need-help-with-your-labrador/labrador-puppies

You will find a lot of useful tips in The 'sticky' topics as well as questions from members that are at A similar settling in stage.Have patience and try not to get to bogged down ....some things that other people are asking about really won't happen to you so as things crop up and you aren't sure,pop on here and ask and someone is usually around to help out
    Best wishes
    Angela and Dexter our 3 year old yellow boy x

3. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi and also congratulations on your new pup. I agree with Angela about getting the book and reading it in a hurry.
    You need to think about bedding, where your pup will sleep at night, particularly the first nights; toilet training; and feeding - as basics. The Happy Puppy book will be really helpful. Remember that the puppy is just a baby and be patient and kind with NO telling off or shouting.
    There's too much to put here but have fun and get a few good night's sleep before your pup comes home. A vet will give good advice about food.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
    Sounds like you have a steep learning curve there.
    Not sure where you are based?
    The hardest bit from the offset might be the raw feeding as there is a lot of negativity about it as well as positivity. Your vet MIGHT just think you are mad, so get as much information as you possibly can from the breeder to get you started. I don't raw feed but know there is some information on the forum here and also some good Facebook group.
    The Happy Puppy Book is a great resource, is quickly read too as it is so user friendly.
    Would recommend a crate, and reading the links posted above.
    Good luck (and congratulations)

jac

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you!

The best place to start is the 'Happy Puppy Handbook' -------->

All pups are different but there are lots of basics which really help.

The puppy part of this site is brilliant too http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies/.

I crated my first but had a puppy pen for my second two, with puppy pads (just for night time) I am too old to lose my sleep!! Both were dry at night by 14 weeks, which was fine by me :)

Oh and tip no. 1 - wear skinny jeans - they love to bite flappy clothes!

[​IMG]

The puppy pen was also useful for me - for tying shoelaces when a small crocodile was marauding!

:)

[​IMG]

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

that photo is funny!

7. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hello from 2 year old Molly and me near Oxford.

There is a lot of good solid information on this site.

There is lots of experience, understanding and sympathy because we have all been there:D

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome from me and Juno, my 14 month old girl from Normandy in France. As others have said my best advice is The Happy Puppy Handbook but don't worry about reading all of it at first if you don't have time. You can catch up when puppy has a sleep . I don't raw feed but the breeder I best placed to ask about suppliers, quantity, frequency etc. and to check when next vaccinations are due etc.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from Poppy and me.

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

11. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hello and welcome from Dexter and me, The Happy Puppy book is brilliant, it's available on kindle too.

Boogie, thank you for the tip of the wash bag, I have just placed an order.

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Congrats on your new puppy. How in the world will you sleep till puppy comes? :) I imagine your puppy's raw diet consists of more than meaty bones and I would hope and expect your breeder sends you home with detailed instructions on raw feeding. When we went to raw it was through our Holistic, Integrative Vet, who prefers dogs be raw fed, imagine that. We fed BARF. The closest raw supplier to me was also a wonderful source of information and had the added benefit of being closely tied to a training facility we use and thus well known to the regulars there. Ordinarily I would take what someone hoping to sell me something says with a grain of salt but because he was so involved with dog people I already knew I had faith in him, because they did. As well, of all things, his wife turned out to be a good friend of my niece.

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome . I bet you are so excited.
    I feed a BARF diet and find it really easy. She has a few raw bones a week to help with the teeth cleaning. Your breeder should give you all the info though.
    Just enjoy your first few days when you get Bailey home......and take lots of photos as they grow so quickly

14. Hawaiian Bailey

Hawaiian Bailey Registered Users

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Bailey is from Kona on the big island of Hawaii and I currently live just outside of Honolulu on Oahu. I'll keep you posted on how it goes