First walk was a failure

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LovelyBonny, Oct 17, 2014.

1. LovelyBonny

LovelyBonny Registered Users

I've had the lead hanging from Bonny for days, letting her get used to it.
    I've conditioned her to come into my "circle" and stick with me when I walk. I've tempted her with her favorite high value treats, I've carried her to the end of the road, EVERYTHING!

doesn't matter what I do, as soon as I pick up the lead her bum is glued to the ground.

2. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Re: First walk was a failure

Hooking her lead to a collar or harness?

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure that is really frustrating!

So she's about 11 ish weeks now? It's all probably a bit new and scary for her :) Is there any environment in which you can pick up the lead and have her keep walking? I guess this is just at home since she hasn't had all her shots yet?

How does she go just around the house/yard walking with you without a lead?

I'm sure you aren't doing this but do make sure you are never the one to tighten the lead - that can put them right off and also makes it very hard to teach them not to pull (because they can't understand that lead tension is ok when you do it but not when they do it).

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Don't worry we had loads of concrete bum moments in the early days. Patience and high value treats won the day in the end along with puppy curiosity :D

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

In a few weeks you won't even remember this stage!! :D

6. LovelyBonny

She's had all her vaccines and is allowed out from tomorrow but I just tried to walk her down the street a little. So frustrating!

Sure we will get there, just needed to vent my frustration lol.

7. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

At our puppy training class the other day they said to make sure you always have a loose lead and that you don't pull the dog at all because they may only pull back and it will create a bad habit. They said to hold treats in front of him/her to encourage them to walk alongside you. I tried a little bit of lead walking today on the way to the cafe.. only for a few meters Bob did OK... I basically just let him roam and kept the lead loose.. And every now and then held a treat in front of where we were walking to entice him forwards.

Good luck!

Lou x

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fear not - she will love her walks soon!

I remember my friend calling me in tears "He won't walk!!"

He will now at 18 months, try to stop him!!

:)

Try carrying her to the end of the walk - it's likely that she will walk home no problem.

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Sorry to hear you think it was a failure, of course it wasn't , just the first experience. I didn't prepare by putting a lead on. I just found a big meadow, drove there, carried my pup 5 yards from the car and did all off lead. On the way back to the car I think I put the lead on. I was focussing so much on having her off lead it sort of just happened. There's been a few times when she didn't want to go out so I got her kibble (treats) out to encourage her. I think I was just really patient and slow with her when she realised the lead stopped her freedom.
    You will be ok soon enough. Just be happy and encouraging next time and she should pick up the "fun" aspect of it. :)

10. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Also, my first walk had a disaster: whilst in the meadow I lost my car keys, had to call the RAC which took an hour and it was baking hot. Another dog walker brought water for Chepi and me. Still haven't replaced the key!

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Could you walk her with a friend who has a dog ? This would help so much, pups do tend to follow the lead ( pardon the pun ) of older dogs x

12. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Try a harness rather than clipping the lead to the coller. Bouncer wont move when conected to the collar, he justs rolls around trying to chew the lead. Put a harness on him & conect the lead to that & there is no stopping him.

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gypsy did ALL lead walks 'till 19 weeks old, she didn't know dogs could run free until then!

Of course, she adores the free runs now and her lead walks are really easy - no excitement!

:)

14. Edp

Edp Registered Users

You will look back and laugh at this moment when she is 8 months and pulling like a steam train ;)

15. LovelyBonny

Thanks for all the advice! Going to take her to a big field today to see how she gets on off lead. I guess it's all just a bit strange? Will also try taking her for a walk but carrying her and defining she will walk home on lead!

In a few months time I'll be regretting posting this ;)

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah good luck,hope today is better,pop by later and let us know how you got on x