Fish 'n' Tips ?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by drjs@5, Sep 6, 2012.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I was given a fish today by a fisherman I know. It had been frozen, but is now defrosting in the fridge. Not being much keen on fish myself, I'm not sure what to do with it. Not examined it, but expect its been gutted, but still has tail, head fins etc.
    Thinking it might end up in the bin or the dog rather than be a family meal!
    Any tips on a doggy dinner?
    It will be a freshwater type fish, about 10" long - maybe a brown trout.
    I'm wondering if I should cook it, give it raw, which bits maybe I should avoid, and how much at one sitting? Lilly normally get dry food, with around 1/3 tin wet food at teatime, but bits and bobs of fresh meat, salmon etc though mostly just trimmings.
    Any advice?
    The bin is still an option :eek:
    Jacqui

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Fish 'n' Tips ?

If it were me, I'd give it to her raw, and whole. My pup is raw fed and she would LOVE it.

Haha, dont I sound like I know what I'm talking about? We've only been doing the raw feeding for about a month, but I love it - and so does the dog!! But honestly, I think a full grown lab can easily deal with a raw fish... and who knows, it could be the start of raw feeding for you!

If this is too scary for you, you could just cut it into four or five pieces, freeze it, and give her one piece a day together with the rest of her meal.

Seems a shame to throw it away!

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi, raw fish is great food for dogs. But, the first few times they eat them, some dogs will sick them up again two or three times (and then eat them again of course, bless. :D) so feed outside!

My four month old pup has no trouble despatching a large fish, but if I give her several fish heads, which are more boney and less meaty, she will sometimes be quite sick afterwards. So I only give her whole fish now.

You may find she won't eat it if she isn't used to raw fish, some dogs are horrified the first time they get dinner on the hoof :D :D

If she won't eat it whole after examining it for ten minutes or so, just cut the strips of meat off each side and give her those.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thank guys!
    I was too late home for tonight's tea, but will give her some tomorrow, then leave the kids to it LOL ;D
    She was fascinated with a flat fish she "found" on the beach in a shallow pool a few months back, but more just played with it flipping it around and trying to bury it rather than eating it. We did our best to get it off her (not knowing how recently dead it was - few mins or few days?) and it took some time to distract her.
    I will let you know how we fare!
    Jacqui

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The fish seems to have gone down well (and stayed there so far)!
    Gave her a little less than half of it just after our lunch - the head part :eek:
    She did play with it for a bit, and licked it, but didn't initially eat it, so I cut off a little slice from the bit still in the fridge and gave it to her so she definitely knew she was allowed to eat it (just in case!!), and then she scoffed the lot over 10mins or so.
    Think it was a success :)
    Thanks for the advice, need to try some chicken wings now :D
    Jacqui

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Once you get your head around the whole raw food thing, it's great - and really makes sense.

And I have to say that if I now have to open the HUGE sack of puppy kibble we still have in the garage, the smell makes me want to heave. I just cant believe we fed her that stuff for so long.

As you can tell, I am a true convert! ;D