Flea treatment and poo

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Kal, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Kal

Kal Registered Users

Morning, Angus is 6 months old now and always seems to have trouble with medication.
    He was allergic to the puppy jabs and had to have them divided up into a longer course.
    He has now been having trouble with flea treatments.
    I use the stuff that goes onto his neck, but this seems to give him very loose stools for about a week after. This is the third time it has happened now. I spoke to the vet and they have given me free a Seresto flea collar to try, (he doesn't have fleas) but looking at the reviews they seem to cause more problems, burns to skin and making dog unwell etc.

Has anybody used these collars or have any advice on what else I can do.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Angus that's really miserable :( Which spot on flea treatment did you try? I haven't used a Seresto collar or know anything about them but I think @Karen does or at least similar. I am sure she will be along to offer her advice. xx

Karen likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Kal, I use the Scalibor collar on my older dog Poppy. I used to use Bravecto, but since she had several epileptic seizures I have stopped using that. Personally I am very happy with the collar - it really works far better than anything else I have used (both the spot on stuff and the tablet). The good thing about it is if your dog has a reaction, you can take it off him. I take it off when she goes into water, as it is very poisonous to aquatic life, and I don't put it back on her until she is totally dry, as I think some of the allergic reactions happen when the dog is wet.

At the moment I am barely using it at all, to be honest, as our major tick season has passed. I also have a four-month-old puppy, and so far I have not used any tick or flea treatment on him at all.

Which brings me to the question - if your dog does not have fleas, and has an allergic reaction to the flea treatment, do you really need to use it? If you have lots of ticks around, then of course you do, but I personally wouldn't prophylactically treat for fleas, especially if your dog is allergic.