Flyball or Agility?

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by Jes72, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I've done some agility with Homer but thinking he may be better suited to flyball. He's too fast, knocks the jumps over and has fallen off the dog walk.

I've found two flyball clubs near by and thinking about giving that a go.

Some comments on the benefits of flyball and agility and how they compare would be useful.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Flyball or Agility?

I've never done Agility but I've seen a lot. I've done a lot of Flyball.

Both are great fun and most dogs find either activity hugely enjoyable. My observations of the differences:
    - Agility equipment takes a long time to set up (boring)
    - Jumps in Agility are high. Maybe not ideal for a solid dog - so take your dog's build into account
    - Agility obstacles all differ a lot, which means there's heaps of fun things to learn
    - Flyball is a team sport while Agility is solo (well, just you are your dog). Some people like being part of a team, some don't.
    - In Agility the human has to run too. In Flyball the dog does the hard work
    - In Agility you have to remember a course. Flyball is the same each time
    - Both require a lot of off lead control but I'd say Flyball is especially challenging in this regard as you end up racing against a team of strange dogs, all very excited and running. Your dog must completely ignore these dogs.

Why not give both a try and see what you and your dog like best :)

3. DonnyDarko

DonnyDarko Registered Users

I'm looking to get into flyball somewhere central England. Anywhere east or west midlands really I don't mind travelling a bit. Is there a list of flyball clubs somewhere?