Food Aggression?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Frisbeesdad, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Frisbeesdad

Frisbeesdad Registered Users

My brother has a 3.5 unneutered month old chocolate lab that he is having some trouble with. I told him about the site here but he hasn't jumped on yet. I was talking to him yesterday and asked him how Chief was doing. He explained to me something that I had never heard of. I've heard of and seen (in other dogs - never one of my labs) the food guarding where the dog will growl, snap at, and even possibly bite someone who comes close to the food he/she is eating. Chief does all that, but also has been attacking my brother and his wife even when they are getting the food, even when they get close to it to get out to feed him. He is biting and growling and barking at them and according to my brother, who is a 6'+ 200lb+ grown man, that it's scary. He's also exhibiting this behavior with treats, toys etc.

What can I tell him to do?

Thanks!

2. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Re: Food Aggression?

At 3 and a half months? Blimey! Do he have another dog to contend with or does your brother just have to one?

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I would be extremely concerned that a 3.5 month old pup is showing food aggression as severe as you seem to be describing. If this is actually the case I think it would be best if they consulted a professional with this one, rather than try to handle it alone.

4. Frisbeesdad

[quote author=LovelyLittleLola link=topic=7418.msg103083#msg103083 date=1408479573]
    At 3 and a half months? Blimey! Do he have another dog to contend with or does your brother just have to one?
    [/quote]

Just the one

5. Frisbeesdad

[quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=7418.msg103087#msg103087 date=1408480278]
    I would be extremely concerned that a 3.5 month old pup is showing food aggression as severe as you seem to be describing. If this is actually the case I think it would be best if they consulted a professional with this one, rather than try to handle it alone.
    [/quote]

They are taking him to a weekly training course for 9 weeks and they have someone coming in to the house for a 90 minute session to assess the situation.

6. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

He definitely needs to consult a professional then. Aggression needs to be tackled quickly.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I've never heard of this in a pup so young ??? I think it is a good idea for a professional to help with this one.

When I to do Harley's food, if she jumps up, barks or anything else, I just stand there and don't carry on with preparing her food until she was quiet and calm. I persisted and now have a 1 year old who sits nicely when I ordinate her food and also waits until I say 'go on then' to eat her food.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there.
    I am glad your brother is getting some help. Is the puppy crate trained do you know? Sounds like they will need to operate a time out system somehow.
    There is some stuff on the site about Resource Guarding though can't link to it on my phone.
    I really do hope the professional trainer helps.

9. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

At 3.5 months old your brother should not be letting this happen and he needs to start letting him know who is in charge, otherwise Chief will be the chief in their house and as he gets older this will cause all end of problems! The puppy needs to learn that the person in charge is able to put down and take away food when they want to. It seems that this puppy has learnt very quickly that they think they are in control and having the owner seeming scared of this young puppy is not helping the situation.

If the puppy is trying to bite/mouth them before the food is even put down them the owner must wait until the puppy is displaying good behaviour before giving the food. I assume the puppy is made to sit before eating and then given the command to eat ?? If the owner at least does this the puppy will start to realise that the owner is in control of feeding time!

I would also give small meals at a time. Therefore the puppy gets used to the bowl being picked up and then given some more. I think it is important to be able to take things away from dogs, be it food, bones, toys etc and in my house any sign of growling or any unwanted behaviour in response to this gets a firm word from me!!

I think you need to emphasise to your brother that a 3.5 month old puppy should not be getting away with this behaviour as it will only lead to problems in other areas. It is much harder trying to stop a 3.5 year old food guarding than a young puppy!!

Hope this helps

Chloe

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Is the pup getting enough food? I have never known a pup of that age to be aggressive, except as a normal puppy when in the litter and that is not true aggression, just puppy behaviour.

The best way is to put down an empty bowl and then drop a small amount of food in, when pup eats that, put some more in. Eventually the pup will see hands as giving something, not taking it away. I am sure the behaviourist will be very helpful.

11. Frisbeesdad

Thanks all - I'll let you know how it goes Friday. That's when the behaviorist is visiting.