Food Confusion

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by nrbolton, Aug 4, 2015.

1. nrbolton

nrbolton Registered Users

Can anyone help a new puppy owner... I have a black lab (11 weeks old), but I'm confused as to how much kibble I should be feeding him. The breeder gave me a bag of kibble, which he loved, and I have him about a quarter of a dog bowl. There were always several bits of kibble left, and I removed the bowl after 15 minutes, so I assumed this was about the right amount. I had a bag of Royal Canin from the vets and planned on using this (from recommendation). I've mixed old and new kibble to ease the transition, but the last couple of times, he has finished the bowl quickly. The label on the packet specifies an adult weight, and I'm not sure which measurement I should be looking at. Any advice? I can't upload a photograph of the label for some reason, but there is a range of adult weights and I'm not sure which one I should be looking at.

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I don't use that brand. They will all have different guidelines. Could you google it? I am sure you will find a web site for the brand with feeding guidelines for puppies. You should weigh your puppy as this is used to calculate the amount to feed ong with she. You should also weigh the food out for the day and take treats from that amount. Or call the vet and ask for guidance. Hope that helps.

3. nrbolton

Thanks for your quick reply. The chart on the bag of food seems to be asking me to guess whether my puppy will be 25kg, 30kg, 40kg, or 50kg as an adult. If I knew that, I'd be able to work out the amount of kibble needed. What does the average male black lab weigh? We are going to a puppy party at the vets tomorrow, so I should be able to ask the vet as well. Thanks.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi, I'm guessing that the kibble you have is the Royal Canin Labrador Junior which for a puppy around 3 months should be receiving 260g per day split between meals based upon an adult weight of 25kg which is a starting point and the weight I've always used for Juno but for a boy I would probably add a kilo to begin with so the daily amount would be 263g according to the website

http://about.royalcanin.co.uk/catal...tion/labrador-retriever-junior23683/#demoTab2

The fun is with the changeover of foods. My vets advice to change food over a period of one week was :-
    Day 1 75% old food + 25% new food
    Day 2 as Day 1
    Day 3 50% old food + 50% new food
    Day 4 as Day 3
    Day 5 25% old food + 75% new food
    Day 6 as Day 5
    Day 7 100% new food.

As Jane says it is important to weigh the food to ensure the correct amount is given. If measured by eye, or hand we tend to over-estimate which leads to our puppies becoming too plump. Also regular weighing at the vets so that you can amend the volume of kibble on a monthly basis.

Hope that helps

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there

Definitely don't feed a puppy until he leaves food...weigh it carefully, and under feed rather than over feed - cut down the volume on the packet recommended by the makers, it's rare you have to feed that much. Keep your puppy nice and slim. They should not be chubby puppies....

Assume 25kg adult weight to start off with, and up the food if your puppy starts getting a bit thin. Health wise, your puppy is best off growing as slowly as possible, and being slim.

Best of luck with it.

7. nrbolton

Thanks for the advice everyone. I worked out that a 3 cups a day is what he needs. At the moment, I'm feeding him at 7am, 1pm and 6pm and have just given him 1 cup. It looks a bit more than what I have been giving him and he's finished it all. It could also be because I moving from one brand to another, and I have to say, that the new brand does smell very nice! Maybe that's why he's finishing it all.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Different foods will be composed differently. I switched from Hills puppy food to Burns adult food. The volume of the Burns is much more than the volume of the Hills because each piece of kibble is much less dense, so weighs less for each handful.

I would agree with those that have said you shouldn't be taking what's written on the packet as gospel. I've heard it said that Labradors need a lot less food than some other breeds, which may or may not be true, but we do all know that Labs are prone to getting fat, since they will generally eat everything. The fact that he's leaving some seems to be a big indicator that he's getting too much. Not to say that if he's eating it all now, that it's not too much - Labs will over-feed quite happily. I would reduce the guideline amount by a third, then see how he gets on with that, keeping an eye on his condition and build. Also take into account any treats he gets during the day, which should be subtracted from his food allowance.

9. nrbolton

The Kong Wobbler is brilliant! We've had 3 meals in it so far, and Bailey loves it! I reduced the amount that I had been putting in his bowl slightly, and he is completely emptying and eating the contents of the Wobbler.

10. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

The Wobbler, treat ball and Buster Cube are alll wonderful ways of feeding a Labrador puppy. They have so much fun getting their food, it gives them exercise and prolongs mealtimes (which is good for them). Can be hard on the skirting boards though

At nearly 2 years Molly still has a morning snack in the Buster Cube when I get up, a Kong for breakfast and 2 more for supper. The rest of her food is hand fed to her whilst training.

You will find that the amount of food Baily needs will rocket up till about six months and then decrease again. Molly was on 240 grams a day at 8 weeks when I got her to 250 grams a day now at nearly two. She is muscular and energetic so,I am fairly confident I am NOT under feeding her.