Food guarding

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Amanda Summers, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers Registered Users

Does anybody have any tips / practical ideas to help reduce or better still, resolve the aggression my 4 year old Labrador has when coming to the end of the food in her bowl at feeding time? She transforms from being a little angel to sometimes quite scary. She has never bitten. She is a labrador who would left her own devices inhale her food. I've tried a few things to reduce this. Currently with good weather I place a food in various places in the garden and see loves to seek it out. Seldom is there any aggression when she's fed this way. Indoors she is fed 5 small portions one after the other but is asked to sit and wait in between which she normally does well. However at the fourth portion she is starting to grumble and by 5th and final portion she is aggressive. She can count... I feel quite stuck on how to help her.

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Amanda, sorry to hear you are having to deal with this, it's always a tricky one :(

Feeding outdoors and informally as you've described is something I've seen used in the past, and sounds very sensible to do while you are trying to get to the route of the problem.

I'd also want to book a session with a canine behaviorist (make sure it's one that only uses positive reinforcement techniques, so you don't end up having someone stopping her warning signs that she's unhappy and causing things to escalate). Local vets often have contact details for someone in your area, so that's the first place i'd try.

Let us know how you get along!

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I'm not sure I quite understand what's happening. Who is she being aggressive to? You or other dogs? Where are you, when she is being aggressive? If you walked off into another room until she had left her bowl, what happens?

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Amanda - I'm a bit confused too. :) Are you saying that she is growling at you while you are holding the food out of her reach? What made you decide to feed her meal in five separate portions? Are you picking up her bowl when she has finished and then refilling it X 5. Is that what triggers the growling?