Food problem!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alice1594, Aug 10, 2016.

1. alice1594

alice1594 Registered Users

Duke is on pedigree dry biscuits at the moment his poo is quiet soft we cut everything else out to see if it was the buiscuits causing this and it is what do you find is the best for your puppy?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Pedigree isn't a great food. There are loads out there that are far better. Ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers, but popular kibbles on this forum include:

Royal Canin
    Burns
    Skinners
    Millie's Wolfheart
    JWB
    Eukaneuba
    Orijen
    ... the list goes on ...

I've noticed with dogs that are fed on Pedigree that there is quite a lot coming out the other end, which means it's not being digested. I imagine this means that the food is very bulky, and many pups find that having too much food in their tums at once can give soft poo. How many meals a day is Duke getting at the moment? It may just be that he needs it splitting across more meals. It could also mean that he's having too much food; the guidelines on the packets do tend to be very much on the high side for Labradors.

I would certainly move away from Pedigree, but there is no one food that is better for all dogs. You just have to find one that suits your dog and suits your pocket, and stick with that. Remember if and when you change, to do so gradually, over a period of a week to ten days.

3. alice1594

alice1594 Registered Users

I have but him on beta large bread which he was on at first but seem to have gone of it, he has had it for lunch and ate it all and the vet recommend us to have him on 3 meals a day because he is a large puppy. On the packing it says 620 to 1130 is that to much we said about 200 each meal?

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's hard to say what is too much - you have to be the judge of that by looking at how your puppy is putting on weight. If he's getting too much fat cover, then you should reduce it. If he's looking lean, increase it. There's no "one size fits all". How old is Duke? Young puppies tend to be on four meals a day for a while at first; it helps them digest their food better as they don't have a massive lump of food in a small stomach, and it keeps their poo firmer.