food...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by wiggy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. wiggy

wiggy Registered Users

Oscar is 15 weeks tomorrow.
    He's was on 110g of Beta Puppy (turkey) 3 times a day.
    We upped it to 120g a feed on Saturday, he is now taking his time eating his food and he has started leaving about 20g of food on the midday and evening feed.
    1) So, we go back to 110g ??
    2) Should we pick up his food as soon as he leaves it to stop him picking ??

Thanks

2. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Re: food...

I would say keep his breakfast the same but maybe reduce his midday and evening meals back down to 110g if he is not eating it all.

I would say give him 15mins with the food down and if there is any left by the end of this take it up and put it back down at next meal time so he does not learn that he can eat when he wants, its on your terms when meal time is.

Another thing you could try as you said he was eating slower, put a small amount of food in his bowl when you put it down and when he has finished that add another small amount of his meal allowance as it maybe that the volume of food in his bowl is a bit overwhelming to him as it has been increased. I would also look at the size of his bowl, it is quite small or large, some dogs prefer to eat out of a larger bowl as the food is more spaced out.

3. GreenBull

GreenBull Registered Users

Re: food...

At about 3.5 months we dropped Max on to 2 meals a day. He want showing much interest in lunch. we then increased the weight of his am and pm feed to account. He is happy and now eats with more focus. Rather than picking and wandering off.

Thought it was a touch young so spoke to vet and she said it was the right thing as essentially it was the dog telling us there was no need anymore.