For those of you who've experienced a season with your pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Plum's mum, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

How do you know when it's finished and you're safe to go out as normal and off lead?

Plum has been in season for just over 3 weeks. Her vulva swelled to humongous proportions and is now shrinking but is definitely still swollen. Does it need to be completely back to its usual size before the season is considered finished? I haven't noticed any blood for a couple of days but I don't want to take any risks.

Thanks.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think after three weeks you should be fine. She will remain swollen for a while, and male dogs will still be interested, but she will no longer be receptive. Try running your hands down her back, towards her tail. If she backs up towards you and 'flags' her tail to one side, then she is still eager to mate.

Plum's mum likes this.
  3. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Ditto what Karen has said. We avoided walks anywhere for 3 weeks - fortunately have quite a large garden - and after that took her out and there are entire dogs in the area. The one we met a day or so later, although a bit sniffy with Molly, didn't try to mate.

Plum's mum likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, they are fine to go out after three weeks.

Mollie's vulva was still a little swollen after five weeks, it's back to normal now.

:)

Plum's mum likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yup... agree with all above, only I would leave it an extra week to be on the safe side especially with the first season, I found it a challenge to work out exactly when her season started and finished.

FayRose and Plum's mum like this.
  6. Plum's mum

Thanks so much everyone.
    Am going to give it till the end of the week then it's get, set, GO! Can't wait to do off lead walks again. :)

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Jess's season seemed as though it was never going to stop. I think the first sign of blood appeared on 23rd July, and her vulva was still swollen and she may even still have been spotting blood on 23rd August. We've been letting her off-lead for the past ten days or so, but male dogs are still pretty interested in her.

Plum's mum likes this.
  8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I found it tricky to be sure when Cassie had actually finished because her vulva remained swollen for quite a while -- but in the end I took a chance on the SW Forum walk, and neither Pongo or Harvey were interested, that was after 3 weeks and a few days!

drjs@5 and Plum's mum like this.
  9. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

Slightly off topic but when did everyone desex their puppies? And those with female puppies, when did they go into season for the first time? Can people share the signs of a female puppy in her first season?

10. Plum's mum

My pup started her first season at 10.5 months. The first sign was her hugely swollen vulva, it was unmistakable. She then started lightly bleeding the day after I noticed the swelling.

I plan to get her spayed before her next season and it's recommended that it's done three months after their first season (so roughly midway between seasons).

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I think @Me and my dog, with female puppies it is generally advised a couple months after their first season, but before they are two years old. The reasons are two-fold. Firstly the pup has time to mature, and secondly evidence has shown a slight protective benefit against mammary cancer if spayed before 2 years old. Of course, there are practical reasons to take into consideration, where you live, proximity to entire dogs, multi dog households, etc...:)

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley had a very long season and bled for nearly 3 weeks. The vet said to wait 10 days after the bleeding stopped before taking her off lead to be on the safe side. Every dog is different so it can be difficult to judge.

Plum's mum and Beanwood like this.