Four labradors in the house.....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lochan, May 21, 2013.

1. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well my sister is off on holiday for 10 days and I have her two labs to stay. So that is four young labs in the house - Tarkie 2.5 years, Lochan 2, Cuillin 2 and Brodick 15 months. I had surgery on my left hand a couple of weeks ago so only have one functioning hand, so walks have been interesting to say the least, although today is the only day I've had to do all four on my own (some help from 17 yo son on exam leave and long-suffering hubby who I swear was whistling happily to himself as he trotted off to work today instead of helping to walk the dogs....). Wild hoolies in the garden, such a pity about my recently reseeded grass (I hesitate to call it a lawn) being torn apart by 4 sets of hurtling paws. Brodick has fallen in the pond twice, Cuillin fell in the in-flood river today - the old labrador problem of running forwards whilst looking backwards - and Lochan thinks all her birthdays have come at once as she pinches treats from B and C. Tarkie at 2.5 is the boss and views all the shenanigans with pious disapproval. But overall they have been great, a pleasure to have around if a little exuberant at times. And the fun in the evening when 4 people and 4 labs are sharing the sofas is hysterical - if one of them doesn't have a seat they've discovered that going to the door and pretending they need out is a cue for a human to stand up and walk to the door leaving a free space for a speeding labrador to pinch . Any of the rest of you have four youngsters living in the house? And any ideas how I can persuade hubby that another couple of pups for me would be fine??

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Four labradors in the house.....

Oh what courage you have ;D ;D
    I have been literally laughing out loud at this , one Lab is great, two are fun but four under three years old is chaos I should think and no , I dont think you have a snowball in hells chance of persuading your husband that two more pups would be a grand idea ;D ;D ;D

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Lochan link=topic=1548.msg10956#msg10956 date=1369132720]
    they've discovered that going to the door and pretending they need out is a cue for a human to stand up and walk to the door leaving a free space for a speeding labrador to pinch
    [/quote]

young but smart!!

and I'm with Kate.......no chance!!!!!

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I hope your sofa is massive.

Any chance of a photo of the four young lovelies wreaking havoc together? :)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

yes, yes, pictures please !!

6. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

that sounds manic!

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Aha - so you are SISTERS!! How nice. Are the labs related, too?

Pictures, pictures, pictures!! ;D

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Don't do it Lochan - 4 labs ;D ;D I can't even walk 2 dogs. I'm with your hubby on this one, sorry. What a great sister you are :D Helen x

9. Lochan

Will try and take some photos of the garden carnage, but it's tricky with only one functioning hand! In any case most of their time in the garden is spent at great speed - might just catch a speeding rump disappearing through the trees....or possibly Brodick clambering out of the pond AGAIN....the poor fish.... I've just spent an hour in the garden with a bubble wand blowing huge bubbles for them - they all loved it and chased them everywhere. In the general adrenaline from this it started a three-way game of growly tuggy with one of the safestix - boy are those things tough! The neighbours must think they are fighting with the noises they all make - glad we've got a big secluded garden! Cuillin (red fox) prefers a game of footie to the three blacks wild tuggy games. Tarka is Brodick's big sister, and Lochan and Cuillin are from the same breeder but not closely related, they are only 10 weeks apart in age. Peace reigns now, they're all asleep; time for me to attack the kitchen floor - you can only imagine what it looks like....

10. David

David Registered Users

My goodness. What an ordeal. Or is it actually great fun?

11. Lochan

It is great fun most of the time. Hasn't taken long for Brods and Cuillin to adapt to my house rules (no hoolies in the house, no counter surfing for Brodick, no chasing of the cats or guinea pig), but I have to admit walking the four of them on Saturday for 2 hours in the rain storm we had was unpleasant, and it took over an hour to clean them up, dry them, dry all their leads and harnesses, sort out our wet clothes and wash the kitchen floor which would not have looked amiss in a film of The Somme. But overall a fun experience and the dogs have loved it. I'm sure I could sneak another pup or two in for me without hubby really noticing.....

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Why bother with puppies, I have a lovely Lab x Pointer that you would hardly even notice around the house, I could drop him off whenever it suits ;D ;D I don't mean it Charlie ;D Helen

13. Lochan

[quote author=charlie link=topic=1548.msg11007#msg11007 date=1369158916]
    Why bother with puppies, I have a lovely Lab x Pointer that you would hardly even notice around the house, I could drop him off whenever it suits ;D ;D I don't mean it Charlie ;D Helen
    [/quote]
    Hee hee poor Charlie. Mind you young Brodick has his absconding moments to the extent my sister was very firm that all his walks with me are firmly on the lead........

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Firmly on lead here too :eek: Debsie has told us about Brodicks absconding, but it's not a patch on Charlie's :eek: :eek: Working hard for him NOT to be an ex absconder if that's ever going to be possible :eek:. Helen x

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry correction meant to say 'to be an ex absconder', it's been a long day :eek:. Helen