fox poo - alternatives to tomato ketchup

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Joy, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm usually very tolerant of doggie smells but today, after a walk in the forest, Molly really stinks. It looked like muck all round her neck, which I've washed off but the smell is strongly lingering. I've read about using tomato ketchup, but is it the tomato or the acid that makes it work? Could I use vinegar or better still lemon juice?
    Has anyone experimented with odour removers?

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: fox poo - alternatives to tomato ketchup

We haven't had to try it for ourselves. However, I did tell my brother-in-law about tomato ketchup after reading about it because one of his cockers loves nothing more than rolling in fox poo. And ... it worked for him - rub it in well in the affected areas then shampoo off afterwards.

Haven't tried with neat vinegar or lemon juice. However, both sound to me to be quite acidic compared to ketchup - not sure what the impact would be on a dog's skin.

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi Joy, Maisie LOVES rolling in fox poo! Oh lord it stinks! I tried tomato sauce, but without much success and I was worried about turning her pink ;D! What I have found that does work is, if you can rinse off the fox poo asap it makes a big difference to the lingering smell and I then I wipe her over with baby wipes. The cheaper ones seem to be best! It must be the alcohol in the wipes that works!

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Thanks everyone. Uncle Bob, yes I was hesitating because of doubts about whether vinegar would bring her out in a rash. Mags, that looks like a good one to order for future episodes (there are sure to be some !) And Debs, good idea to keep some baby wipes in my pocket - if you think it's the alcohol perhaps I should pour a can of beer over her. ;) (was going to say a bottle of wine, but my OH might not be best pleased if I did that.)

6. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fox Poo shampoo works really well for my two serial fox poo offenders. Much less messy than tomato ketchup and just as effective. You can get it online or from places like PAH.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it will be the vinegar - acetic acid - that is effective in ketchup. But I reckon a dog shampoo is just as good (soap, hot water and a srub, cleans most stuff) - Charlie sometimes needs a couple of goes, but always comes clean.

Sounds like she had fun!

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

She certainly had fun! Relaxing for me too as we were out on the monthly dog club walk - I was so busy chatting I did n't notice the rolling!
    I looked up the ingredients in the Cowboy Magic spray and they're essentially the same as in my own shampoo / conditioner ;) . This afternoon we've been at the beach and I managed to get her splashed by the waves which seems to have taken the smell off a good deal.

9. David

David Registered Users

I just use dog shampoo and lots of water. It's important for the first few wipes with the sponge to go in the direction of the coat so you don't drive the poo into the coat. I use a spray deodoriser called "Fox Poo" ;D to deal with any residual smell.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We are an Animology "Fox Poo" Shampoo fan here too. Haven't tried the spray but thinking I will invest in it (since their shares aren't on the open market)
    Pets@Home thankfully do it now.
    Problem with Ketchup is it REALLY makes me hate ketchup smell too.