Frisbee - almost 9 months - time to neuter?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Frisbeesdad, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Frisbeesdad

Frisbeesdad Registered Users

Wondering what the thinking on this is. Doc likes to wait on males - says less issues with ACL tears and the like. He's not lifting his leg to mark yet and not doing the humping thing. He does expose his penis regularly when he's excited (not sure if this is the proper way to explain it). I've been told reasons to do it now and reasons not to do it now. What say this group?

Thanks!

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Frisbee - almost 9 months - time to neuter?

Leave it until later, my Lab was 20 months old. It is important that male dogs mature before castration. Or indeed don't castrate! I intended not to do so but mine had a discharge (apparently normal) from his penis which tended to end up on the walls and doors! I did notice that he was more focused on me afterwards and not where a beautiful girl might have been :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well, it's hard to get a definite answer on this question :) Where I live dogs and young bitches are done at 6 to 7 months.

Just waiting till skeletal growth has pretty much stopped is probably the way I would go, personally. At 9 months Frisbee has probably done most of his growing.

What age does your vet recommend waiting to?

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

There was a really useful thread on this quite recently:
    http://www.thelabradorforum.com/index.php?topic=4118.msg48572#msg48572

I'm not a fan of castration unless there are good reasons for the individual dog (and if there were, I would get my boy done). But so far, I haven't had any problems at all (he is 1 year), so I'm not planning to do so. I will if I have problems though, or think I might. So I'm firmly in the wait and see camp.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Same here - wait and see. It may well not be necessary at all.

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

In Canada where I live it is the same as Rachel, the neuter happens around 6 months. Both my previous dogs, whom I raised from pups, were neutered at that time. My present dog is a rescue, he was a year when we got him (I thought he was younger due to date mix-ups) and was not neutered, but we had him "done" soon after we got him. None of my dogs suffered any ill effects from the op nor did I see any changes in them personality-wise, post-op.

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

In the UK male dogs are often left intact throughout their lives, and I have never had any problems caused by leaving a male dog in possession of his 'tackle'. I don't think you need to worry unduly about delaying for a month or two should you decide to do so.

If you have decided to neuter, I think it is probably worth doing it later rather than sooner. This article is more about whether to neuter than 'when' but there are some links to further information that may help you.

8. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

So many different opinions n views on this.Our boy is almost 8 months old n we are taking him in for his op on friday.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We took the wait and see approach. Riley still has all his bits and bobs at two and a half :)

10. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i had intended to have jasper done,....when he got elbow problems, i delayed it, he is now 14 month, i think i will be the same barbara wait and see :)

11. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I recently posted about this question as well. My murphy is 9 months and has got quite humpy which has made me wonder whether its time to get him done but ideally i want to wait until he is at least a year old and fully developed . There are so many opinions and conflicting ideas that its a rather difficult decision! X