Frozen kong.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Cuffberto, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Cuffberto

Cuffberto Registered Users

Me and the wife was chatting a few months back on things we used to have when we was kids and I said. My mom used to make us sarnies with the little pots of beef spread and the horrible salmon one then the mind started ticking away and bang.
    I thought what a good idea to stuff the kongs for the dogs with. As much as the dogs like kong paste my wallet hates the stuff and it only lasts for about 10 minuites with 3 greedy labs so down the shop I went got loads of little jars 3 diffrent flavours beef,salmon and chicken and only about 40p a jar :)
    So straight back in the kitchen a nice handful of everyday dog biscuits in a plastic bowl and the rolling pin to bash them up to breadcrumb size pieces in goes 2 jars of salmon paste mix it all up hey presto dogs all happy but yet again only lasted 10 min or so then it came to me my genius moment (well I think so ) why don't I add a bit of water to the mix stuff the kongs and freeze them for a couple of hours hey presto these little beauty's last the dogs a good hour they love them any flavour but salmon seems to be there first choice.
    3 kongs filled for about £1 happy dogs and even happier wallet :)

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Frozen kong.

oh i might try that, :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Heehee - well done. Yes, the official Kong stuff is expensive - much better to DIY :) Sounds like the dogs heartily approve of your culinary skills!! I really should be more adventurous with Kongs too....Obi just gets stuff like honey, yoghurt or peanut butter. Though last night he did get a mashed potato Kong!

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Not keen on the salmon?
    Sure you have labs?

Jac ;)

5. Shell

Shell Registered Users

Brilliant, brilliant idea - cheap & keeps them entertained for hours