Frozen kongs...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Jul 17, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Great tip from the forum. Standard frozen kong is filled with kibble, water poured in, and then frozen. I do get more inventive if Charlie's treats allowed - but he is a podge this week (some weeks podgy, some weeks lanky when he grows a few cms) so we're on kibble from allowance.

How do I best stop the water running out the bottom while I freeze it? Been wrapping the base of the kong in cling film, but it's not a huge success. A bit of water does leak out, and makes the cling film tricky to get off..

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Frozen kongs...

Put a bit of peanut butter, cream cheese or similar in the hole at the bottom. Freeze that for a little bit then fill kong. Let me know if it works because I'm just extrapolating from theory here :)

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

yes it works rechael ...jasper as just had his frozen kong......i read on here some one using the cheap jars of salmon spread,i mix sardines spread,and kimble together , smear the hole with the spread fill and freeze,........i am not and expert, only what i have read on the forum :),

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Cheers guys, I'll give it a go.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Huh, did something wrong. Water melted cheese before water became ice. Maybe more cheese. I need a kong plug!

6. lynnelogan

julie its funny reading this.....i had some fun with it when i first got it.....peanut butter or the spread stuff in the hole .....if you mix everything together you don't need to put water in ......that was my mistake :) .......i mix sardines/paste /kimble. put it all in and freeze.......i fill 3 out of that amount :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Lynne, I guess that would work - I was trying to pad out the kong with ice, rather than food. He loves ice. Hmmm...I'll give it more thought....a kong plug..

8. lynnelogan

we did exactly the same thing .......i just kept seeing the water running out ,, i thought how the hell do i plug this hehehe,......just kept reading tips on here,....then i thought hey i am a fool, :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ahh....massive bulldog clip keeps the bottom closed...just have to balance it between the veggie burgers and the ice cream to keep it upright in the freezer. Sorted!

10. lynnelogan

so funny, this post as made my day......i wanted to throw the kong through the window......then i clicked :) oh thats how its done :)

11. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

We had same "problem" I have a dish in freezer and hold it up in that. (between the peas and sweetcorns)

12. lynnelogan

yoghurt pots hold them ..... :)

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Okay I need more details here as I have been wondering about this too. So do you fill the entire thing with peanut butter/paste/kibble, and freeze?? I use a large kong for Simba....doesn't this get expensive?? I like the idea of using the water and kibble as a stretch it out method.

I used a kong with my Border Collie, but he had a medium one, not so big. I used to fill it with kibble and a brand of dog food that was kinda a wet variety that worked fine. They don't sell that same brand here any more and like I said, Simba's kong is bigger.

14. Oberon

I would just soak the kibble a bit in water before draining it and packing it into the Kong. It will freeze and stick together. No need to fill the Kong itself with water.

You can fill the Kong with peanut butter and freeze it - I've done that a few times. But, yep, you use a lot of peanut butter! Obi has a big Kong too.

Cooked and cooled porridge or oatmeal is a cheap Kong filler. Leftover risotto too. Can freeze both and they don't leak out either.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Soaking the kibble first does work really well, but I used a lot more kibble to stuff one kong than filling it with dry kibble and water - filling it with water seems to get more water in. Frozen Kongs keep podgy Charlie "if I'm awake I'm chewing" out of trouble, so making as many as possible is key for me. Bulldog clips to hold the bottom closed while liquid freezes, and a cut off milk carton to keep the kong upright is now my solution.

16. Oberon

Could you get a smaller Kong?

Good that you have found a solution though :)

17. lynnelogan

try the recipe board on here , some great ideas :) Welcome to the recipes board

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Have full range of kong sizes from puppy upwards - smaller kongs don't last long... they are great though, regardless of chosen stuffing method. Brilliant invention!

19. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

I'm o happy to have found this topic! Thanks for the ideas everyone ;D

Off I go to experiment...