Frustrating day

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Janel, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Janel

Janel Registered Users

this is the place I can go and vent and you all get it! It's been raining all weekend and this handsome dog of mine is driving me nuts. Hank is 10 months but seems more like 6 months since he lived in a dog run the first 8 months of his life. I know he's probably frustrating being inside all weekend too. He will not listen to me and he keeps dragging the kitchen rug around the house ugh! It's clearing up so thought I would try taking him for a walk but again that's unsuccessful. He will not go past our house. I don't understand it. We can take him to the park on a 50' lead and he loves it. We can walk him on his normal leash while we are there, but he will not walk around here.
    Tomorrow will be a better day. Thanks for listening.

2. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Ha! I was just about to post a similar rant. My Corona is 12 weeks old and really is a great puppy for the most part, it's me. I'm overtired, and exhausted. The only person who is willing to help is my 17 year old daughter, but unfortunately, the puppy will not stop biting and attacking her, despite all of our efforts to stop the behavior. My daughter is then left in tears and the responsibility and supervision falls all on me once again. We are also in the process of having our dream home built and you would think my husband is building it himself for all the time he spends there. Today was a day spent in tears, it feels like I am constantly wishing the time to go by faster to the days of a settled dog and one where I have some freedom again. I just feel super tied down. It's been quite an adjustement after going more than 10 years without a dog. I'm sure when she starts sleeping longer at night and stops her biting, that I will feel much better. Today just isn't one of those days. I, also am hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

3. Janel

Janel Registered Users

I feel your pain. We had two amazing labs. We lost our last one in July and I wanted another right away. I forgot how hard it is having a puppy. Even though Hank is 10 months, he is behind because of the lack of socializing before he came to us. I just was looking online and found a training with really great reviews. I have a feeling it will be super expensive but I think it will be worth the investment. Good luck to both of us! Let's keep in touch and share our progress.

jeanine likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

OK - the answer to not being able to walk in the rain is a waterproof coat and wellies. :D

bbrown and snowbunny like this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This. It's raining? So what? Go play in the puddles in the park, it's great fun!! A bit of precipitation is definitely not a reason to stay indoors. Dress for it and go and get muddy. It's what Labradors are designed for.

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Fred, Annie and me just love walking in the rain. Labs love water and as long as you have your wellies and hat on, it is fine. We have the fields all to ourselves. People say, you are not taking the dogs out in all this rain? I just smile and get their leads.

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I have to laugh at people who say "oh my dog won't go out for a walk in the rain". They would if I had them! We were out in a "dreadful" downpour yesterday. Came home, took all my waterproofs off, I was lovely & dry underneath. Coco enjoyed a good rub dry with a towel.

Cath likes this.
  8. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

I currently prefer walking in the rain as it means there are less people and dogs about so I can relax when walking Alfie the Over Friendly Labrador off the lead :$

drjs@5, niclibrarylady, Naya and 5 others like this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Agreed!!

Cath likes this.
  10. Janel

Janel Registered Users

Well my dog isn't the average dog that will go for a walk. I try and try and try and he won't go for walks. It's something I need help in working on. We tried playing in the yard and he was muddy and slammed into the table and landed on his back - so that is why we weren't playing in the rain any longer.
    Not happy that I even posted this - was looking for support not people telling me I need to go out in the rain.

Celin likes this.
  11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Why can't he go outside if it's raining? We do, a rainsuit helps for me. Oban says, "Hey, I can get all wet and muddy and not even have to go in the pond, great." We are nearly always off leash though, maybe that would help you, if you have a safe place and good recall. Yeah, my backyard is big but not enough to satisfy an energetic Lab, he could get hurt tearing around like crazy in our yard too.

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sorry Janel, I wasn't getting at you.

Try training some nifty tricks when you're stuck in doors, that would tire him out. Do some "find it" for little treats. Teach him to read - yes, it can be done. All things to use his brain will tire him out.

Janel likes this.
  13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sorry Janel, but you didn't say he had hurt his back. Did you have him checked out at the vets? Has something scared him outside your house that he remembers?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  14. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sorry, can one of the Administrator please help with the above typo it will not let me edit
    Please can you help with Janel name. Thanks.

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Janel. I'm sure no one meant to make light of your situation :)

I'm not really clear what you mean when you say he won't walk past your house. How do you get him to the park? If he'll go to the park for exercise then stick to that but train him to walk past your house. What have you tried so far?

16. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Done!

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Thank you, You're a Star :star:

18. Janel

Janel Registered Users

He just won't walk past the house. His tail goes between his legs and he stops. Won't budge. We've tried treats and soft pulling, but we don't want to force him. He's a very fearful pup. We've only had him 6 weeks - he came to us very fearful. We are giving him lots and lots of love. The few times we have brought him to the park, we took him in the car. Once in the park, he's great. I contacted a trainer in my area that has fabulous reviews and have set up an appointment with her. Praying for positive outcome.
    Also, he didn't hurt his back, but he ran and slid and banged into a table and fell. I just didn't want him to be running around the yard after that. He's fine.

19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well I would just carry on taking him to the park in the car so he can have a run around and meet other people and dogs. If you have only had him 6 weeks, he is still getting to know you and you him. He needs to learn to trust you. Lets hope your trainer can help you and tell you what you need to do to help your puppy. Good luck Janel.

Janel likes this.
  20. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would go to the spot where he stops, several times a day. Make no fuss but give him treats. Once he relaxes, turn round, come home and go in the car for a lovely free run in the park.

He'll slowly come round. You need to remove your frustration first as he will feel your anxiety and pick up on it.

Have a strategy, relax and keep repeating it.

:)

Janel, b&blabs, Joy and 2 others like this.