Fun Agility Training in our Garden :)

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by charlie, Mar 6, 2016.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I bought a long agility tunnel in the sale just before Christmas and I have just ordered 5 weave poles, a hurdle and a hoop, Thomas is going to make me a few more hurdles to make it a bit more interesting, so just need a place mat. Hopefully the weather will be a little better soon for some agility fun with Hattie & Charlie. Hopefully Charlie will learn a bit more focus and tire his wee brain out :rolleyes: Oh well I can dream :D x

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Sounds as if you and the dogs are going to have some fun when the weather is better :)

charlie likes this.
  3. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds fantastic :) Look forward to hearing about the fun you will have

charlie likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Ahem, videos? ;)

charlie likes this.
  5. Rosie

Rosie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes!
    I got a set of agility stuff for Christmas (that was my present from Pongo) and it is great fun. The tunnel is particularly good (although it tends to blow away even if pegged down if I leave it up overnight). I love the way that when they go through the tunnel they come out the other end like a ROCKET - it seems to act like a particle accelerator in a physics lab!

If you post a video I'll try to post one too.....

Rosie

Newbie Lab Owner and snowbunny like this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'll see if I can get one of my sons to oblige when we get set up and it's not RAINING, but remember Charlie travels at the speed of sound so it will probably be blurred! :rolleyes::D

@Rosie I think Charlie will love it as he is soooooooooooooo high energy :eek:. Oh yes the tunnel, no enticing needed for this activity :D

Love to see your video of Pongo please :)

7. snowbunny

Argh, if we get this property we're after in Spain, there's a field that's 100m long that I want to put some agility equipment in. I'm so excited about this! Where's the best place for buying it? J is very handy and could probably make most of it, but he's going to be busy with making the house habitable!

charlie likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A field now that sounds perfect, luckily we have a large garden as a good run up and space is necessary . Agility equipment varies a lot from wooden to plastic so the price varies too. I just bought a starter plastic set on EBay for £35.00 to see how we get on but you can pay hundreds for professional sets, really depends on what you want. Amazon and Ebay have a good selection on complete sets or individual components.

I am still waiting for our house to be finished after 23 years so David is not allowed to make any as much as he would love too! :rolleyes:

Naya and snowbunny like this.
  9. Rosie

It depends how much you want to spend. We got our set from Amazon - links below. It is definitely "play" quality rather than "professional" quality, but good enough to have lots of fun with. In addition, I've rigged up a couple of additional hurdles so we can have three hurdles, a tunnel and a set of four weave poles in a course.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N3YFM08?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CXBB1M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Newbie Lab Owner and snowbunny like this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Haven't the foggiest how to link but here is the Ebay number for the set I bought:- 400792047921 which consists of 5 weave poles, 1 jumping hoop and 1 hurdle.

snowbunny likes this.
  11. snowbunny

Thanks, ladies! I think "play" quality will probably suffice until J can spend some time on building something more robust. If the equipment you have can deal with a bruiser like Pongo, it should easily stand up to my two little monsters ;)

12. Rosie

Hee hee.... at agility class we have proper, heavy duty equipment. Pongo still demolishes the weave bars in his enthusiasm. They need to be re-set after every time he has barged through them. Elegance is not his forte, he just knows he needs to get through them to the treats at the end so why dawdle?

I suspect he will never win prizes but he does have an immense amount of fun!!

13. snowbunny

And I'm sure you (and everyone else) does, too, watching him perform with such gusto!

Maybe not whoever has to reset the weave poles. I imagine it's like when someone demolishes a gate when ski racing. Lots of huffs as someone pootles off with a new gate and a drill... :D

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Fun is so much more important than prizes :D:D

Newbie Lab Owner and Rosie like this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You do it your way Pongo! xx :D

Rosie likes this.
  16. Rosie

When the clocks go forward and it is lighter in the evenings (our agility arena is outdoors), I am going to try to get a video of Pongers in action. It will not be impressive technically, but it is a picture of a labrador in absolute delight.

Emily, Newbie Lab Owner, Naya and 5 others like this.
  17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oooh can't wait to see Pongo in action :) Being a happy dog is much more important than being technically impressive :) x

Newbie Lab Owner, MaccieD and Karen like this.
  18. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Couldn't agree more!!!

Newbie Lab Owner and charlie like this.
  19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

So agree as well, happy is so much more important :D

20. Rosie

Yes, I rather like the trainer who runs our class - she rarely asks a dog to try an exercise more than twice in a row (to keep them from getting bored), and she's much more interested in keeping them all "keen on doing agility" than getting everything perfect. She also says lots of positive things about Pongo, so of course I like her!

(She described Pongo as "the most optimistic dog ever" - because he always believes that everything is worth trying, there is bound to be a reward at the end of it!)