Fun poll: does your dog do the pre-wash?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by MF, Apr 24, 2017.

?

Does your dog do the pre-wash?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. MF

MF Registered Users

Confession: Snowie licks our plates and pots clean before they go in the dishwasher. Sometimes he even does them in the dishwasher if he thinks they're not clean enough. He gets so much joy out of it! And we can't see what the problem is... except when we have guests -- then it can get embarrassing!!

Anyone else?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Mine is a "sometimes". When we're in Spain, water is a very valuable commodity as we're not on the mains, so if plates are dirty, it takes more water to clean them. I do it to save the environment ;)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie is excellent at pre-washing especially as he has an ENORMOUS tongue so he can reach right to the back :D but yes, embarrassing when you have guests so we wait for them to go ;) x Hattie is not too interested but it depends on the meal :D x

MF likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We are yes, IF given the chance!
    Not always on offer.
    It's a definite for pre washing the recycling though :D

MF likes this.
  5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

The only pre-wash Quinn gets to do is her kong filling mixing bowl and sometimes OH's ice cream bowl. Otherwise, she isn't to lick dishes sitting out or once inside dishwasher. Something about dogs licking dirty dishes in the dishwasher has always grossed me out! She sits beside the open dishwasher for a treat and she gets tastes of the meal as well :)

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

He would if he could, have caught him on the odd occasion having the merest lick! My other Lab would not even dream of doing so!

7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley gets about half because OH lets him and I don't :rolleyes:

Guess who Stanley sits near when they're eating..

MF likes this.
  8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

No, but I don't have a dishwasher and the water's not so hot washing up in the sink. Mind you I can remember as a child plates were put down for the dogs to eat leftovers and we all survived.

MF and charlie like this.
  9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Sometimes. If I haven't licked the plate clear myself first.

drjs@5, Saba's Boss, Cath and 7 others like this.
  10. snowbunny

Hehe, there is this, as well. I'm sure my husband never signed up for this. Sometimes I see him watching me as I drink the gravy from my plate. Pahaha, too late now, sucker! *burp*

drjs@5, Beanwood, Kelsey&Axel and 2 others like this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh yes ! Sam has always done it , and has now taught his new pupil that she can actually stand on the dropped door of the dishwasher and practically get into it x

drjs@5, MF and charlie like this.
  12. MF

MF Registered Users

There has got to be a lucrative business in washing up cloths that mimic a dog's tongue. What takes some elbow grease to clean a pot is easy-peasy for Snowie.

However he's not so good at getting to the bottom of the Nutribullet flask - I end up scraping it with a spatula and hand feeding him! :rolleyes:

drjs@5 likes this.
  13. MF

MF Registered Users

Ooh I do love true confessions! :p

Sometimes I HOPE Snowie is sleeping when the sauce is delicious otherwise I feel too guilty eating the meal AND licking up the sauce, depriving the poor boy. On the up side, I exhibit some decorum at the dinner table now that I don't lick my own plate!

kateincornwall likes this.
  14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No, of human food for my pooches in case they start begging, which wouldn't do.

:)

15. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

We had a no human food for dogs policy when H was a pup. i'm glad we did and he doesn't lick the dishes in the dishwasher and takes no notice when we clear up and stack it. Homer is so obsessive compulsive that if I let him lick the dishes just once he'd expect to lick them every time the dishwasher was opened. From a cleanliness perspective I wouldn't mind one bit.

He does get some of the scraps but usually mixed in with his dinner.

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco is a "rarely". A good while ago, I was told by my vet that Belle could do with losing a couple of kilos. We had a think about why she might have put them on...and it boiled down to regular plate licking...all that gravy & sauce. We cut this out (& some other excessive titbits) and she lost the weight. Coco gets to lick the plates after a barbecue - that's it.

17. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper and Tilly are our pre-wash cycle for almost everything. We try to put two plates down at the same time, but they are very good about sharing if there is only one platter or pot.

MF likes this.
  18. snowbunny

Same here. The thing is, we BBQ pretty much every night of the summer. It's on right now, for our magret of duck ;)

We don't go in for sauces, though, so it's just any meat juices. If we have gravy, like on a pie or something in the winter, that's all mine! They get to lick the plates maybe once or twice a year in Andorra, but here in Spain, it's almost every night :D

drjs@5 likes this.
  19. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

This simply never occurred to me to do. My poor pups missed out! I'll just have to rectify that with my next doggie friend. :D

Plus, y'all are making me hungry with your talk of barbecue and sauces. Darn diet!

Brogan and I did have a long-standing tradition that he got the lid of a Ben & Jerry's ice cream container with a dollop of ice cream, plus he got to lick out the empty container. it was the perfect size for a big Rottie snout. I tried doing the same when dogsitting my friend's chihuahua and ended up having to give her a wipe down with a wet towel as she essentially threw the majority of her little body into the container to get at everything. It was very entertaining. :rolleyes:

Kelsey&Axel, drjs@5, charlie and 3 others like this.
  20. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Ripple would love to but he's not allowed. The cats, however, make up their own rules :rolleyes: .

Kelsey&Axel and drjs@5 like this.