Furminators

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by SteveF, Oct 5, 2015.

1. SteveF

SteveF Registered Users

Would you classify a lab as long haired? I`m looking to buy a fuminator as OH is fed up with fur every where! Thanks. Steve.

2. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I've got a furminator and it's AMAZING!!!! Got mine off ebay new ( much cheaper than shop) but it gets a lot of those hairs away, yellow hairs hairs everywhere!!!!!!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

From what I've read on here, they seem to suit some dogs better than others. I have a Jappyland comb that is very similar, but markedly cheaper and I really rate it. It gets loads of hair out, without leaving any bald patches that some people complain about with the furminator. It only strips already dead hair; when Willow wasn't moulting at all, it would get absolutely nothing off her, so I know it doesn't cut or pull good hair.

Overall, I've mainly heard positive things about them, but do be aware there are a minority of people that dislike how they work.

But, to answer your question, no I wouldn't class a Lab as long haired. That would be more like a Golden Retriever.

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Yes, I use a furminator every couple of weeks on Pongo. A LOT of hair comes out, seems to be enough to make another labrador. But there still seems to be plenty left over to spread around sofa, carpet, clothes, food, pillows....

Newbie Lab Owner and Jes72 like this.
  5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I recently invested in a Furminator and find it amazing. I went for the Medium size short hair version and find it easy to manage (even with a bit of arthritis in one hand).

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I'm afraid of the Furminator. It can ruin coat if used improperly and I tend to be ditzy at anything mechanical, I'd probably over use it and take off top coat. I find an old rubber horse curry comb, lots of brushing and vacuuming works but then I am not extremely dismayed to open the top freezer door of my fridge and find black hairs.

Oh, I also really like a rake. Gets burrs and stickies out as well as loose hair.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Labs are definitely short haired.

The ferminator seems to suit dogs that have heavy undercoats, I think. My dog doesn't have a super heavy coat, really, although it's not thin. When he is moulting, each day after breakfast I pass a ferminator over his back, base of tail and sides (down to where his undercoat layer stops) and throw a really good handful of hair in the bin. It really helps....I don't do a huge session all at once though, I don't think that would suit him as he seems to shed gradually (it takes ages and ages - I think I have about one month a year between moults!) and grow his new coat in at the same time.

His undercoat is a very different colour from his top coat, and it only ever seems to remove undercoat and dead hair, he is super shiny and I've never thought it has damaged his coat at all.

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I use a furminator on Riley (lab) quite happily and I don't think it damages his coat. I use a coat king on Obi spaniel which is great at cutting through any matted bits. I think overuse of that could be a bit much for Obi's coat. I'm not sure anyone will ever accuse me of over grooming my dogs though :D

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I use a fine toothed grooming comb that doesn't cut the fur but gets loads of loose fur out; I have offered to give my fifminator to several people (as I won't use it) but nobody has taken it yet!

10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I use a furminator a rubber curry comb and my hands. All my 3 Labs have different coat types so one gets a huge session(very thick undercoat with fine thick overcoat) with the furminator one gets a very light session(long hair with fine undercoat) and the 3rd gets a medium session (fine undercoat fine overcoat). I also massage deep into the coat and this brings dead hair to the surface and they like it
    I hoover once a day and its still looks like furry hell

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I love my Furminator :) I use it on Sam about once every couple of weeks , it has improved his coat 100% , by ridding it of dead hair . I also use it on my elderly terrier , both dogs enjoy being " done " and then having a good old massage with coconut oil afterwards :)

12. Diana

Diana Registered Users

I agree they are very good, we used our daughters doggies one to try it out and now she's buying us one for Christmas - well rather the dogs are having one for Christmas!

13. Helen

Helen Registered Users

I am in love with the Furminator, I had seen them but thought that's a bit expensive, I ordered one of Amazon which was at least 20.00 cheaper than my local kennel shop, my god it is amazing, just using it for 5 mins so much hair has come off him.

14. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I love the furminator, I use it for a couple of minutes down my girl's back and base of tail, every few days. She's not keen on it and that's all she will tolerate I also use a good brush which she doesn't mind. OH bought mine from the local pet shop cost twice as my as online. :hmm: So shop around.

15. Diana

Diana Registered Users

Our one came off Ebay ( it was new). They say only to use it once a week though, it certainly helps Arthurs loose fur.

16. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Can anyone explain how these things work? In descriptions mention is made of a blade, surely it doesn't cut the hair off?

17. SwampDonkey

It grips and pulls out loose hair. the undercoat thats why you should do long strokes starting at the head end to tail. if you you short strokes the coat can look chopped. Don't use it on the legs as there is no really undercoat and you will make bald spots. I like them but every dog coat seems different and all my labs have had different tolerances to the furmi. Some I only do lightly once an week as recommened but one dog needed it every 4 to 5 days. I wouldn't be without one but they just don't suit some dogs coats.

Lin likes this.
  18. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Thank you for the explanation. I will buy one and see how we go. :)

19. SwampDonkey

if you got one of the furry little bear labs you will be able to make a jumper just so much fluff

drjs@5 and Lin like this.