Getting a second dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deboragh, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a second dog. Our current puppy is 7 months old. Wondering how long we should wait before introducing another pip. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

It's really a personal choice but I think it mostly depends on your current dog. Getting a second dog would be easier if your current dog is fully house trained and knows basic obedience.

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I would really recommend waiting until your existing dog is AT LEAST 18 months, before adding another. This ensures you have one dog through adolescence and out the other side safely, before having to deal with a puppy... It also reduces the risk of the two dogs only having eyes for each other and wanting to play constantly - and therefore bonding much more closely to each other, than to you. (A risk especially for the puppy you add, who won't have had any time with just you.)

4. Jo Spink

Jo Spink Registered Users

My pup is seven months and I’ve recently got another one. Having a puppy in general is hard work but I don’t find it any harder although the playing (play fighting) can be a lot but I have no regrets. They have a lovely bond already and I have still bonded with the new puppy but did wait until the pups bonded together first as felt it was so important they got on. Every evening they end up snuggled together. I make sure they both get attention and that I have time with each of them.

5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I agree with Jo Laurens. Jo Spink's account is a lucky story. If one runs into a problem with the first dog as it moves into adolescence then the second dog can pick up some very bad habits. And it is important that you, not the other dog. become the centre of attention for each of the dogs.