Getting Frisbee in shape! Help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Frisbeesdad, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Frisbeesdad

Frisbeesdad Registered Users

Hi all - it's been a while!

I'm writing because I think I've let my buddy down. Frisbee is 14 months old now and he's flat out lazy. Some days he will run for a ball and bring it back between 5 - 10 times and then just jog around. Other days he'll (maybe) run to the ball but not pick it up. And some days he just jogs around, looks at the ball or not. He's not a big swimmer. He will only go out to where he can touch in a lake and doesn't like getting into the pool with me. He's excellent on leash/off leash heeling but after a longer walk around the neighborhood he's walking behind me.

I had a yellow before him that was the complete opposite! He was impossible to keep out of the pool. Would swim until we stopped him because his toenails were worn down to the quick (blood on the pool deck). He would run/swim forever! I could throw a ball as far as I could and he would run to it, bring it back and be ready to go again! Same at the lake! I'd throw it halfway to the middle and he'd chug along and get it bring it back and be ready for more! On the flip side, he wasn't very good on the leash.

I'm not complaining about Frisbee - I'm just concerned. My previous lab (Barkley) was always fit and trim due to his energy level and amount of exercise he demanded but with Frisbee, who is a thicker lab to begin with, I can see him becoming out of shape (Fat) unless I get things turned around.

I have 4 daughters under the age of 11 so I'm not able to focus 100% of my time on getting him going - but I would love to incorporate time with the girls and getting him the proper exercise.

What are your suggestions??

Thanks!

Frisbeesdad

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Getting Frisbee in shape! Help!

To be honest he sounds just fine to me. I don't think he's unfit, just a lot more laid back and placid than your previous dog. If you are concerned he will become overweight, and he is not a huge exerciser, then the key thing is to manage his diet.

If you want to get him to retrieve more it's about making it more interesting for him, so if he doesn't get that worked up over a ball you need to make it more exciting using tasty smelly treats or a different toy even - for example is he more excited over a frisbee or retrieving dummy than a ball?

3. Frisbeesdad

Frisbeesdad Registered Users

Thanks. Frisbee likes the frisbees as much as the ball which is a bit disappointing since his NAME is Frisbee! lol - will try a retrieving dummy. We won't change his name to dummy though! :)

How much exercise is recommended for a dog Frisbee's age?

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Frisbee sounds exactly like my Pongo, except that Pongo has developed a real taste for swimming, and he also has daily 'CRAZY' moments when he just hoolies around insanely for about 2 minutes (before collapsing back into his usual state of lethargy). He doesn't get the point of running after balls (if you've thrown it away, Mum, then obviously you don't want it back....), and he won't break into a run for anything short of prime chicken. Like Frisbee, he is a real thick-set lab - and he is a heavy boy, 32kg at 35 weeks of age. He is a really laid-back puppy - not afraid of anything, didn't even get off the sofa last night when the smoke alarm went off over his head at 3am!

So I'm keeping an eye on his shape, and (I hope) he seems to be OK - still got a waist etc, and I can feel his ribs.

The one time he really gets excited and lots of exercise is when he is with other dogs. We put him into doggy daycare about once a fortnight (when we are both out all day) and he absolutely loves it..... dashing around and wrestling with his mates. He comes back exhausted and very happy. Is there anywhere like that near you, where Frisbee might enjoy some all-out doggy play?

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I have two three year old black labs who are brothers.

Scout can't keep still. He will retrieve constantly if given the chance. Unless of course an interesting smell gets his attention :mad:

Scott is the opposite. Very similar to how you've described frisbee. Scott would be quite happy to lie down and watch or be left to his own devices to leisurely follow a scent that with any luck will lead him to something gross he can eat. ::)

Lauren is right you just need to make it more exciting for frisbee which might mean a lot of trial and error.

Scott now retrieves as much as scout although he still doesn't have the same desire. I accidentally found the thing that made retrieving exciting for him which was shooing away pigeons !!! For about three weeks I pretended to shoo pigeons and he raced for the retrieve. Now he just retrieves but occasionally I stick in a shoo. ;D

You might find you need to do something that makes you look daft or use something you wouldn't think of try different things and hopefully you will find what that magic thing is quickly. ;D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Frisbeesdad link=topic=7346.msg101868#msg101868 date=1408109857]
    How much exercise is recommended for a dog Frisbee's age?
    [/quote]

I work on an hour a day as the minimum that I think an adult labrador should have, I prefer Charlie to have 2 hours if I can manage it, which is 2 x 30 minutes brisk walking on lead and an hour or more off lead.

My boy will hoolie about given any excuse, but I actually prefer him to do steady trotting and walking - when he is off lead, sniffing and exploring - and swimming.

I do not think it is necessary for them to do "explosive" exercise taking off madly and slamming on the brakes in repetitive fetch of balls and frisbees - I'm not sure that's the best kind of exercise for a labrador to have, at least as the majority of its exercise anyway (it's quite hard on the joints).

My boy is a keen swimmer, and I think it is excellent exercise. You could look to see if there are any fun doggy swim pools near you, as it's very easy to deliver a good exercise programme in these pools, even for dogs that aren't the best swimmers.

I agree with Lauren, there is no need for your boy to put on weight, just cut down his food.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,nice to hear from you..it can be tricky juggling a young family and a young dog....but well done for thinking about this before it becomes a problem for Frisbees health....
    The members that have replied have touched on what I would have said....managing his diet is key.My dog gets a lot of excercise and activity but it's been reduced recently due to the fierce outside temperatures ( we live in Dubai and 45-50 degs c ...is the range for this time of year) so accordingly his food has been reduced......when we've done a lot of training/playing in the house it feels a bit mean when I look at the paltry offering I give him in his bowl ...but he doesn't seem bothered by it ..as long as there is something in his bowl it's still dinner to him and fits in with what he expects of his routine.bear that in mind...if you start using food treats remember to adjust his meal amounts
    Angela

8. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

I had some concerns about my young female, Daisy, who is now about 4 months old, not showing much desire to retrieve. She is my "couch-potato in the making", which is what I asked the breeder to look for in his litter, so I have no one to blame but myself! I do want her to show some enthusiasm for retrieving, simply because it's a fun (for me, at least) way to give her some exercise. I bought a small bottle of pheasant scent from a gundog supply site, dribbled a bit on a canvas dummy, and now she races after it! ;D I still only toss it about half a dozen times before putting it away - I don't want her to lose interest in it. I whoop and holler when she gets it, and she gets a double treat when she brings it all the way back. She's found it in tall grass and once buried in a small shrub, so I think she likes finding it.

Try scenting one of her toys with something appealing, even if not with a game scent. Maybe a smear of peanut butter? Or sardine juice??

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Some people suggest leaving dummies in your bag of kibble(assuming you use kibble) to make it smell appealing :)