Getting puppy used to a lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jackie luff, Oct 9, 2013.

1. jackie luff

jackie luff Registered Users

Hi Everyone.... Layla is still doing really well (9 weeks old) ... learns very quickly (with clicker and a bit of kibble). Still has had not accidents in the house so really pleased with her. The one area that I can't seem to get anywhere with is getting her used to her lead. Nothing I do will stop her chewing it... throwing treats in front of her.. cajoling her along.... any ideas would be greatly appreciated... she follows me off lead but for where we live she has to walk on a lead and would like to et a handle on this in time for when we can take her out. Also how do you post pics here?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Getting puppy used to a lead

Hi Jackie,
    I've got dexter,he's a 1 year old yellow boy and our first dog.we didn't get him until he was 5 months so we didn't have a problem with him chewing the lead so can't help there but I exacerbated a pulling problem to a really bad level ......so anybody starting off I always advise from experience proceed with care and mindfulness and a good read of Pippas training articles,I went right back to the beginning and started over.if Layla is working well with a clicker read there is an article on establishing a good heel position and there is also an article called walking your Labrador on a loose lead.put your time in now and don't rush it.....it will be worth it in the long run.i posted yesterday that we now have fairly good loose lead walking for a decent amount of time .....bit I've done it the hard way! :D
    Have a look in the technical section on how to post your pics...I use flickr and it's really easy x

3. jackie luff

jackie luff Registered Users

Re: Getting puppy used to a lead

Thank you. Its so good to read here the success stories. I'm so glad Dexter is doing well. Thanks for the advice will definitely have a good read today