Go. To. SLEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Jan 27, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

For some completely unknown reason, the pups haven't slept this morning. At all. Their regular routine is: go out for individual walks; when I get back with Shadow, they have their breakfast then play for twenty minutes then sleep until lunchtime while I work. Today they haven't settled at all! Asking to go out, to come in. Not wanting to play with each other, but wanting the toys the other one has. Going behind the sofa (not allowed because of cables). Counter-surfing in the kitchen where I'm making chicken stock, but nothing within reach of them. Wanting to come up on my lap - no, the computer is there - argh!! They're now getting grouchy, I'm sure down to tiredness. They've had a kong each but that still didn't settle them. I think it's time for an early lunch and then some crate rest for a while, before I go maaaaaaad!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Go. To. SLEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

Good luck Fiona, crate time sounds like a plan , and relax :)

3. snowbunny

Crate not needed in the end.... lunch was enough to make them conk out! Aaaand peace! :)

4. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

And breathe....

5. snowbunny

Well, that didn't last long. They woke up again and wanted to go outside. No problem, out they went and started chewing on a piece of wood that's out there. That's fine, they're allowed to chew that piece. It went on a bit, though, so I figured their teeth were hurting them and gave them a chew each. Willow took hers to her crate, Shadow took his into the kitchen, where he likes to lie on the heated floor. Some time later, I hear him drinking. No problem, there's a big bowl of water in there for them both to use whenever they're thirsty. I forget about it. After a while, I realise there's still strange noises coming from in there. I go in and the bowl is empty. And there is water all over the kitchen floor. Shadow is having a ball, picking the (aluminium) bowl up in his mouth and waving it around. Little sod.

On the plus side, my kitchen floor is now sparkly clean.

6. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Yes :D some days are like that. Some days it just never ends and can be so tiring. Still, they might sleep well tonight and tomorrow.

7. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

My pup is no longer allowed water in aluminium bowls… she has a heavy porcelain one after one morning she woke me up at 5.45 a.m. and I decided to be nice and give her some water while I used the washroom because she hadn't had any all night and she doesn't take a single sip before picking it up and trotting off with it, dumping it ALLLLL over the floor.

I caught her trying to pick up the porcelain one last week, too. Luckily it's still too heavy for her.

I hope they settle this afternoon! When they skip their regular naps, you know you're in for a loonnnng day.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You could always get in the crate and leave them to it ;)

Hope they're more settled tomorrow. :)

9. snowbunny

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=9687.msg140004#msg140004 date=1422387930]

[/quote]

Why didn't I think of that?! It looks so comfy! :D

They still didn't settle properly all day and evening. I took them for a longer-than-they-should-have walk this evening to try to tire them out. They had about a ten minute snooze and that was it. Then, as I was cooking dinner (a prawn risotto), someone popped by and I didn't even think - I poured a drink for them and sat in the living room. A few minutes later, where's the pups? Hmmm.... a better question would be, where's all the grated parmesan gone?! Argh! First time I've left anything in reach of them in the kitchen. I have no chance now.

This is my penance for being happy they didn't wake up a minute before my alarm this morning.

At last, they are sleeping now. It's only taken until 10pm. Is it wrong that I want to poke them with a pointy stick? ;)

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[/quote]

Believe it or not my mum shut herself in the puppy play pen to eat her lunch and have some peace when their boxer was a puppy and very draining, hilarious!!!!!!) She felt shutting Rosie in there was 'mean'.... Still shes 6 now and she's turned out very well behaved and calm so maybe there's something in that ;)

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9687.msg140040#msg140040 date=1422393500]
    Is it wrong that I want to poke them with a pointy stick? ;)
    [/quote]
    Only if you have a masochistic streak.....

12. snowbunny

[quote author=CDM link=topic=9687.msg140056#msg140056 date=1422394754]

[/quote]

Believe it or not my mum shut herself in the puppy play pen to eat her lunch and have some peace when their boxer was a puppy and very draining, hilarious!!!!!!) She felt shutting Rosie in there was 'mean'.... Still shes 6 now and she's turned out very well behaved and calm so maybe there's something in that ;)
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D Brilliant!! I've been in Willow's first crate just to see how comfy it was. OK, I may have had a glass of wine. Or two. But it was comfy! :D

13. snowbunny

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=9687.msg140058#msg140058 date=1422394882]
    [quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9687.msg140040#msg140040 date=1422393500]
    Is it wrong that I want to poke them with a pointy stick? ;)
    [/quote]
    Only if you have a masochistic streak.....
    [/quote]

I do. But I love them too much to do that. I may just poke John with the stick and let them sleep ;)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9687.msg140060#msg140060 date=1422395143]
    I do. But I love them too much to do that. I may just poke John with the stick and let them sleep ;)
    [/quote]
    Oo...saucy!
    Have you had wine this evening? :D

15. snowbunny

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=9687.msg140061#msg140061 date=1422395657]
    [quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9687.msg140060#msg140060 date=1422395143]
    [/quote]
    Oo...saucy!
    Have you had wine this evening? :D
    [/quote]

NO! Absolutely not!

Now, had you asked "Have you had gin this evening?", that may have had a completely different answer ;)

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D

17. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

I had to have a chuckle reading this, not about the dogs but the crates and the stick etc! It's good you can still laugh after such a tiring day!
    And it's good to know that other people have bad days with their puppies, even the older ones( puppies not people!)
    Let's hope today is a better day!

18. snowbunny

They've been a delight so far this morning. Famous last words? ;)

19. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

As we say in our household "Hush your mouth". ;)