Goes toilet on concrete instead of grass

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MandyRae, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MandyRae

MandyRae Registered Users

Hello my pup luna is 13 weeks old and when she is unsupervised and overnight she has the laundry with access to outside, but if she is unsupervised she will poo/wee on the concrete instead of the grass, any ways I can make the concrete not appealing to her? I have no problems when she is supervised it's just when I go out and overnight. I treat her everytime she goes on the grass.
    She won't wee/poo in the laundry. So I'm happy she goes outside to do it, just wish it was on the grass as the poo sticks onto the concrete grooves and is just a pain to remove.

2. CamK

CamK Registered Users

Hmm? I have wondered this myself. I didn't want mine to pee or poop on their outside kennel concrete because of the smell. I cleaned up often and took them out often to where I wanted them to go. They eventually learned. I was told to keep the concrete as clean as possible because they tend to do their business where they smell other business. For you maybe it would be good to leave the poo on the grass rather than cleaning it up right away.

On the concrete I used a deck brush to scrub with soap and water and also an enzyme cleaner once in a while. Labs have good noses so you need to be careful that your cleaning products are not to strong or that you leave lots of time for airing out after cleaning.

I wonder if vinegar would be a deterrent? Concrete is porous, dilute vinegar and spray on the concrete. What if the vinegar smell pushes her back inside to do her business.

Your pup is so young, maybe she will learn on her own.

Now my boys are 1 and 3. The 3 year old only poos on the side of the road. The one year old will only do his business in the tall weeds or in the deep snow way back from the road. My problem? I have a poop eater so I have to trudge thru the snow to pick it up. Lol. Excersize is good.

Good luck with Luna.

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

It could be, at 13 weeks, she finds it a little scary to go out on to the grass by herself -- I take it that the concrete area is closer to the laundry? Therefore she feels safer. Just a guess, but it's something that may resolve as she grows up. I would say in the meantime use a cleaner that removes the odour to discourage her from going there and a stiff brush to remove it all.

Now that Cassie is coming up to 2 I find she rarely even wees in the garden, and virtually no poo's, unless she has been eating apples and is caught short :rolleyes::rolleyes:, preferring to wait for her walk sometimes for an extraordinarily long time.

MandyRae likes this.