Going from 3 meals to 2

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Maddison, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Maddison

Maddison Registered Users

As Larks gets closer to 6 months old I know it is recommended to have her go form 3 meals a day to 2. Is there a specific way to do this or do you just stop giving a meal in the middle of the day? I feel like she'll wonder what happened to her lunch :D

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You don't have to drop lunch if you don't want to. By all means, if it suits you both, drop it, but my two are 2 years and still have lunch. It suits us all best that way; I give them a couple of frozen kongs, or a turkey leg or similar, which they have at the same time as my lunch.

3. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

We were in no hurry to move Bailey to two meals but we found he wasn't eating his lunchtime kibble so he kind of phased it out himself. That said he usually has a bit of my lunchtime sandwich :rolleyes:

DebzC likes this.
  4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

My transition from 3 to 2 was all over the place. I still feed her the same amount of breakfast and dinner, but I'm probably more generous with treats (sardines, chicken, liver, sausage, steak) on her late-morning off-leash walk. Then depending on the day she'll get one or two Kongs filled with kumara and sardines. Sometimes she walks the 200 meters up the road to collect her girl from school, so I'll grab a handful of kibble for that. So....I figure that lunchtime meal has been replaced by the treats and the Kongs and the school-walk kibble. LOL, was that helpful?!

5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

We took Stanleys away due to the amount of treats he was getting too.

He gets a big breakfast - definitely his favourite meal. Then he gets lots of training treats throughout the day, we usually have 2 or 3 training sessions, plus his walk. Then he gets rewards for not jumping on counter etc. Then he gets kongs when we go out.

He gets his tea in his biggest Kong on an evening. But we give Stanley a handful of kibble before bed too as if not he throws up bile.

Reading that I think he definitely gets more than his lunch o_O and then he still always wants my food. Greedy little thing!

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is our feeding programme. No treats except kibble until 12 weeks. They are fine in kibble treats until then :)

In reality very few GDs end up on one meal a day. I had to move Twiglet to two meals really really slowly, reducing the mid day meal two grams at a time and increasing the other two meals by the same. Her tummy didn't cope with the sudden increase in the other two meals.

IMG_2455.PNG

7. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn is 3 years old and I give him a large carrot for lunch, or an apple