Going upstairs? Dangers?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Newpuppymom, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

Hi everyone.

My pup is 5 month and 3 weeks old on Tuesday.

My question is when can you aloow a dog to start using stairs without damaging their joints?

I live in a 3 story house. My room is at the very top. And I have a bird room on the second floor where my birds live (because I have a cat too). I do have to spend a reasonable amount of time up there. And when I wind down for the night I crate him and go to my room on my computer.

What I would like to do is leave the birdroom door open and he can stay outside and keep me company and come to my room with me so he isn't left alone as often.

He is completely housetrained.

at what age could I start teaching him to use the stairs safely? They are a little steep too

Thanks! :D

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Going upstairs? Dangers?

I guess one factor is the speed at which he takes the stairs. If he is going to go up and down them slowly (e.g. on the lead) then I'd say it'd be fine. But I wouldn't let him go up and down at his own speed till he's about a year old.

My dog does flyball and at flyball they are allowed to go over jumps at 1 year of age but not before. I'd say that stairs are a similar prospect. Take it easy and at a slow pace till he's 1. That's what I think anyway :)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Going upstairs? Dangers?

I totally agree with Rachael , we live in a bungalow so its never been an issue for Sam, but any stress on puppy joints can cause problems later on, best take it steady for now and err to the side of caution :)