1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Good days, bad days, and freak dog accidents

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by David, Dec 31, 2017.

1. David

David Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lady and I used to pick up, but we've now transitioned to being a gun and a peg dog repectively. It was a bit of a trial at first because Lady didn't like the reduced workload associated with sitting next to me on a peg. However, now that she's a bit older (she was 8 in September) and also because her ED doesn't improve with age she's now settled quite happily into the new routine.

She gets a mixed workload. Some days things go well for me and I seem to be able to no wrong and Lady gets enough work to satisfy her desire to pick up those pesky pheasants. She picks up at the end of the drive and because she has a tendency to run in I put he on a corkscrew tether. The exception is if I wound a bird rather than killing it outright which does happen. It's vital to deal with this immediately, so the routing is break the gun, unload, put it down and then release Lady to retrieve the wounded bird. She's actually pretty good at that and on more than one occasion recently I left her to her own devices to pursue a runner into cover or woodland and she has had a 100% success rate bringing the birds back.

Yesterday was a bad day. Hardly any birds over me. A total of 5 I think came near enough to consider. 2 were Hail Marys as the Americans might put it and I let them go. I missed 2 completely behind, then on the last drive brought down a nice cock bird and it fell just behind me. I have no idea how it happened, but poor Lady started to scream and when I looked she's turned to watch the bird fall and had got the tendon in one of her back legs trapped in the triangular handle of the corkscrew tether. I got to her as quickly as I could after making the gun safe and thankfully got her released without any damage to her leg. Poor lamb. She'd had quite a fright.

It was a complete freak of an accident. There was a gap in the bent metal of the handle just wide enough for the large tendon in her leg to pop through and get trapped. The chances of that happening must have been minute. I'll hammer the gap closed later to remove any risk of it happening again.

Our day was over at that point, though. In my rush to get to Lady I'd pushed the barrels of the gun into the mud so that was that. Lady and I watched for the rest of the drive. She's fine so all's well with the world really!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ouchy!
    Poor Lady....a freak accident right enough.
    Glad all is well.

David likes this.
  3. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad Lady is ok. I can't imagine sitting around for hours - Harley would go nuts, so we'll done Lady.

4. David

She's a bit of a lazy so-and-so! If I stand still when out walking she just plops down beside me and watches the world go by until I move on.

snowbunny, selina27 and drjs@5 like this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Lovely update...but poor Lady what a fright! How is your knee these days @David? :)

6. David

Knee doing well thanks, Kate. Now feeling the benefit in that I can walk as much and as far as I like including over ploughed fields. It definitely feels like an artificial joint though. I had the opposite hip replaced in March and I'm completely unaware of it being an artificial joint. The knee by contrast is a bit clonky, but I only had it done in June and they say it will continue to improve for up to 12 months from date of op. Transformed my life to be honest!

drjs@5, Karen and kateincornwall like this.
  7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad that all ended well David , after such a scare , and pleased to hear that your replacement parts are working well , I`m heading down that route rapidly !

David likes this.
  8. David

Hips or knees, Kate? I pretty much think they are both little miracles!

9. Beanwood

So pleased your knee is holding up... especially through ploughed fields, and at this muddy time of year. :)

David likes this.
  10. David

And the mud here sticks so your boots end up like large blocks of clay and weigh a ton! :eek:

kateincornwall likes this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hip for me ,knee for Paul , what a pair !

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Gosh what a scare David!! I hate the screaming, it sends the adrenaline coursing through you... so glad nothing bad happened!!! And also very glad your knee and hip are doing well; it really does change your life and makes you feel decades younger!!

David likes this.
  13. David

Not sure about the decades but definitely puts a spring back in the step. Actually found myself running across the road a few days ago - haven't done that for years!

Karen likes this.
  14. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So good to read your post, I've been battling with knee issue for a while -- I may need a replacement. A daunting prospect for 2018, so to read about a positive result is very reassuring.

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oooh, @selina27, your post count is my year of birth. And if you keep on posting (which I'm sure you will), that means I will keep getting younger when people read this comment ;)

drjs@5, selina27 and leejane like this.
  16. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster Forum Supporter

He he, just one more post @selina27 and then it's mine .... And I will also magically de-age too;)

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  17. selina27

Ha ha :) Yep, I'll keep posting. That's another year younger already :)

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  18. selina27

Tis done!!

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Anyway, sorry to derail, I'm glad you're feeling fit David and that there was no lasting damage to Lady!

selina27 likes this.
  20. Beanwood

Yes very encouraging! I am due a partial knee replacement later this year (gulp..)

drjs@5 likes this.