1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Grade One Gundog Test

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by LoopyLuna, Nov 19, 2018.

1. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Hi - I was wondering if anyone was working toward their Grade One Gundog test? I can see there is a thread relating to this but it doesn't seem to have had many recent comments. It would be great to hear other people's progress with training.

We have a 7 month old black field lab, and although we don't plan to work her, we'd love to keep her brain challenged with the training and see how far it takes us. We attend a brilliant force free gun dog group here in the UK and she absolutely loves it.

I entered her for her Grade One and did the test last weekend. We were one mark away from getting a pass, but it was a really fair assessment of our ability - we weren't quite ready but I was so proud of how she did (even though she did get bored at the very end and started tearing around the field with my scarf which she'd found on the ground - bit embarrassing). Her sit, stay and recall were great but we have lots of work to do on loose lead walking and retrieving. I've just sent off for the Grade One book that Pippa has written, so we'll work our way through that alongside our training classes.

I'd love to hear anyone's training stories, or from anyone else who's successfully trained a very over excitable puppy into a loyal and well behaved training companion :)

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello and welcome. Congratulations on getting so near, a fabulous achievement for her age. My Meg is a working lab, both parents gundogs and she has many FTch in her pedigree. She was a bouncy, excitable loopy pup. I stuck at KC obedience classes for a year despite many moments of thinking we were the worst in the class and she would never settle. On her first birthday she smashed her KC bronze and silver obedience awards. Since then she has been the perfect loyal wonderful family pet that anyone could wish for. She is hardly ever on the lead, her recall is sharp and she is just the perfect family pet. I think she would have been an awesome gundog or service dog. She will retrieve till the cows come home. Stick with your lessons and I am sure then next few months will show great benefits and achievements

3. LoopyLuna

Hi @Edp thanks for the reply. Well done for achieving the KC bronze and silver awards and I'm so pleased to hear that she's the wonderful family pet you dreamt of. If gives me hope that the hard work will pay off. We still feel a million miles away from the family pet dream at times, but as I write this, she's asleep by my feet which is a vast improvement :)

I don't know whether there are many people on this forum any more that do any gun dog training, or are at the beginner stages like us, but it would be great to hear how you're getting on and some of the struggles/successes you're having?

Edp likes this.
  4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Well done for having a go at the Grade One Test! And for not being discourage with the result. It sounds as though you are almost there, and that your lab did really well for such a young dog :)

5. LoopyLuna

Thanks Pippa - after such a rocky start with broken limbs and poorly tums, we are so unbelievably proud of her. We'll just keep having fun practicing and try again if the mood takes us :) Grade One book arrived today, so we're looking forward to getting started on it. She's really started showing some interest in the dummy in the past week and is even beginning to deliver to hand and hold on to it a bit longer which is encouraging (she used to run off with it and chew the end a few weeks back).

6. LoopyLuna

We had our first complete retrieve today - a sit to heel while the dummy was thrown and run out, a pick up and a straight run back. She even sat and held the dummy and put it in my hand. She's not holding the dummy in the middle yet (just pulling it by the flap) but we'll work on that next.