Grain Free Dry Food Choices

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by 1001, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 1001

1001 Registered Users

My 10 month has always had Royal Canin Lab Junior as recommended by my breeder. Equally he has always had problems with his poops (often quite mushy and yellowish in colour), I had always put this down to his scavenger nature and probably through eating yet another disgusting item on the ground, however in recent months we have really curbed this behaviour yet the poop hasn't changed, which has led me to consider that maybe its his food thats the problem.

So recently I have been looking into better quality dry foods and have read a lot about 'grain free' variants which sound like they could be the solution.
    Orijen has come highly recommended however is quite pricey and I have also heard good things about Acana (unsurprisingly, since they are the same company).

Has anyone here had experience with these brands or could recommend others?

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

3. streetchurch tulsa

streetchurch tulsa Registered Users

ours have both been on Royal Canin lab mix since pups, we just switched to Taste on the wild with Pacific Stream due to allergies, seems to be helping.

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

In the middle of last year there was some concern raised about heart problems in dogs being linked to consumption of foods containing legumes instead of grains.
    https://www.americanveterinarian.co...between-grainfree-dog-foods-and-heart-disease

One alternative is to use a food which has rice as the grain instead of wheat. Another possibility is that your dog has a sensitivity to the protein in the food you are feeding rather than the grain. You could try changing to a food with one new protein source (i.e. one type of meat).

Jennifer98264 likes this.
  5. 1001

1001 Registered Users

Gosh, nothing's ever simple is it? You think you're making the right choices for your dog then new information like this comes out... It really feels like no matter what I do I'm putting my pup at some sort of risk!